Resources for New Faculty and Staff
Access most of the following services by pointing to the Faculty/Staff menu on the UW-Eau Claire homepage.
Protect Yourself (And Us): Change Your Password!
On Campus - PC: Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and click CHANGE PASSWORD.
Off Campus & Mac: http://users.uwec.edu/
Your initial password is uwec?####, where #### is your four-digit pin. Valid passwords meet these requirements:
·At least eight characters in length
·Contain characters from three of the following four categories:
English uppercase characters (A through Z)
English lowercase characters (a through z)
Base 10 digits (0 through 9)
Non-alphabetic characters (for example, !, $, #, %)
Passwords cannot contain significant portions of your account name or full name
Learn all about UWEC passwords
Check Your UWEC Email Regularly
If your account reaches 160 MB, you cannot send email. If your account reaches 200 MB, you cannot send or receive.
From Your Office: Microsoft Outlook (PC) or Entourage (Mac)
From Off Campus or On Campus: Outlook Webmail, point to the Faculty/Staff menu on the UW-Eau Claire homepage and click Webmail
To forward your UWEC email account to another account, or check your quota online
Use distribution lists to email certain groups, such as all your advisees, or all students in a certain course (e.g. 0891.engl.110.416) or major/minor (e.g., engl.majors), or to receive a list of the students in a distribution list for use in an electronic gradebook or attendance record. Find out how to use UWEC distribution lists.
On the UW-Eau Claire homepage, the link to MyBlugold CampS can be found in the top right hand corner above the search field. MyBlugold CampS gives you secure access to:
- Advising System
- Class lists
- Grade Submission
- More information can be found on our MyBlugold CampS Help Page
Save to the Network (It's Backed Up)!
For more information about storing your documents, view our Data Storage Tool .
To Access Any Drive on Campus
PC: On the Desktop, right click MY COMPUTER » select Explore (step-by-step instructions online)
Mac: On the desktop, double click the hard drive icon OR click on the desktop icon for the drive you want to access (step-by-step instructions online)
Share Course Materials Online:
Post course files, host discussions, update your gradebook, and more…
Request a D2L course using the online form.
To access your course, point to the Faculty/Staff menu on the UW-Eau Claire homepage and click D2L.
Online how-to instructions for using D2L
Share course files and allow students to collaborate.
On Campus - PC: On the Desktop, right click MY COMPUTER » select Explore.
On Campus - Mac: On the dock, click and hold on the SHORTCUTS folder » select Connect to W Drive.
Option 1. Faculty/Staff use staff.uwec.edu and Students use students.uwec.edu
Option 2. Use VPN -- contact the Help Desk
Set W drive permissions to control or restrict access.
Web Development Services
- The request for academic and administrative web space can be done online.
- The request for student organizational web space can be done online.
- You can also request a personal (People Pages) web account online.
- You control who can edit your pages and you can change your Web account permissions
Additional Services: Contact the Help Desk
- Test scoring drop-off and pick-up
- Large format poster printing for Student Research Day
- Work-at-home software pickup
- Discount software
- SymantecAnti-Virus check out
- Computer clean up for viruses, malware, and spyware
- Connecting from home
- UWEC wireless access and laptop registration
- Desktop Macintosh support
- Sales: Color printing, paper, DVDs, DV tapes, CDs
Request Technology Training
We provide one-on-one or group technology workshops to assist the Campus Community in a variety of ways:
- Technology-based course assignments
- Student-faculty collaborative research (e.g., Student Research Day)
- Non-curricular project consultations (e.g., Excel data analysis)
- Campus-wide upgrades (e.g., Office 2007)
- Outreach activities (e.g., Senior Americans' Day)
- Departmental professional development
A Sample of Topics You Can Find in the Online Help
- Excel Spreadsheets
- Desire2Learn (Online Course Management)
- Outlook Distribution Lists
- Outlook Class lists (Getlist and Gradebook)
Some Important Web Sites
Most of the resources we have cited in this handout come from the following sites: