A VPN connection is the extension of a private network and it allows users to securely access organization intranets. You must establish a VPN connection in order to complete the following instructions to configure your off campus email access. However, once you have completed the configuration, you will not need to use the VPN connection to check your email using Outlook from off campus.
- Establish a one time VPN connection with UW- Eau Claire
NOTE: After you have completed the steps for this configuration, you will not need to use the VPN connection to check your email using Outlook.
- From the Start menu, select Control Panel » User Accounts » Mail (32-bit)
The Mail Setup-Outlook dialog box appears.
- Click Show Profiles...
The Mail dialog box appears.
- Click Add...
The New Profile dialog box appears.
- In the Profile Name text box, type https://username
NOTE: Use your UW-Eau Claire username.
- Click OK
The E-mail Accounts wizard appears.
- Click NEXT
- NOTE: Check Change account settings before proceeding. Click NEXT.
- Click MORE SETTINGS...
The Microsoft Exchange Server dialog box appears.
- Select theConnection tab
- Click EXCHANGE PROXY SETTINGS...
The Exchange Proxy Settings dialog box appears.
- In the Connection settings section,
- In the Use this URL to connect to my proxy server for Exchange text box, type webmail.uwec.edu
- Select Connect using SSL only
- Select Mutually authenticate the session when connecting with SSL
- In the Principal name for proxy server text box, type msstd:webmail.uwec.edu
NOTE: A check mark appears when the option is selected
- In the Proxy authentication settings section from the Use this authentication when connecting to my proxy server for exchange pull-down menu, selectBasic Authentication.
- Click the Security Tab.
- Check the box next to Encrypt data between Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Exchange.
- Click OK.
The Microsoft Exchange Server dialog box closes. Click FINISH.
- In the Mail dialog box, select your new profile.
- Click OK.
NOTE: When Outlook starts up you will be prompted to type a username and password. In the username text box, type uwec\username and then your UW- Eau Claire password in the password text box.