Applications that are managed by LTS have been packaged into simple installers for Faculty and Staff utilizing Microsoft's Configuration Manager 2012. By default, all application that can be freely distributed to all University computers will be pre-advertised to faculty and staff through the UWEC Application Catalog. All other applications can be deployed to users and computers based on licensing restrictions. Below are instructions for Windows and Mac on how to install advertised programs based on your operating system.
For most software that is free or site licensed:
- Start Internet Explorer and type in http://appstore.uwec.edu or click on the UWEC Application Catalog at the root of the Start Menu.
- The UWEC Application Catalog should display similar to the following image. On the left pane you will see a logical groupong by type of application, including departmetns. In the upper right corner, you can search for an application by keywords, name, publisher, version, or category.
- To install an application, search for an application, click on it, and then click "Install" in the bottom right corner of the window.
- Click "Yes" to begin the installation.
- Installation will begin after the requirements have been checked. Once an application is finished installing, you will see the following message:
- You can double-check that the software was installed properly by opening the Software Center and verifyuing that the status is "Installed".
For Software that is licensed per computer (not in the UWEC Application Catalog):
1. Contact the Help Desk at 715-836-5711 or firstname.lastname@example.org and request a license.
2. After the license has been verified, LTS will deploy the software to the computer. Open the Software Center by navigating to Start Menu » Utilities » Software Center.
3. Find the software title, click on it, and then click "install" in the bottom right corner.
Below are some common issues that can arise when installing software. Please try re-running the installation for any piece of software that fails prior to escalating the issue.
"Cannot install or request software"--This can occur in two situations:
1. Problem: The user is using a browser other than Internet Explorer to access the Application Catalog
Solution: Open Internet Explorer and type http://appstore.uwec.edu/ Try again and the software should install.
2. Problem: The Configuration Manager client is not installed. Navigate to Start Menu » Control Panel » System and Security and start the Configuration Manager client. If it is not there or does not say version 2012, then the new client is not installed.
Solution: Contact the LTS Help Desk in order to get the new Configuration Manager client installed.
- In the Finder, click Go.
- Open the Applications folder.
- Go to Self Service.
- Login with your UW-Eau Claire username and password or by clicking log in anonymously.
If the program you want doesn't appear, contact the Help Desk at 715-836-5711 or email email@example.com.
- Click the program icon. A pane appears with important information about the program, such as whether it may lock up your screen during the installation.
- Click Install. A frame at the top will show the progress.