This is the recommended model for creating course evaluations using Qualtrics.
- Creating/ Distributing Evaluations
- Analyzing Results
- Bonus Items
- Best Practices
- See Qualtrics Build a Panel instructions.
Note: A "panel" is the list of all students that need to respond to your course evaluation. This list can include extra identifying information, such as course or instructor name. Obtain a list of all students in a particular class (you could use the utility GETLIST to return the usernames of students in individual courses). The minimum amount of information needed is email address. However, if you want to compare data between individual courses and for all courses in a department or college, or filter data by instructor, you will need to include that information in your list as well.
Note: For the first four columns, use the headings exactly as shown in the picture above. Any additional columns can follow whatever naming convention you will remember best.
- Upload this list (in CSV file format) into a panel in Qualtrics.
- Create your course evaluation in Qualtrics. For basic survey creation instructions, see the Qualtrics Help suite.
- If you are using one Qualtrics survey to administer many evaluations for different courses, use the Pipe Text | Embedded Data feature and type the specific field name (e.g. "Department" or "Course") to dynamically pipe in the course name and instructor name into the survey title and welcome message. See Piped Text and Embedded Data instructions.
Note: Students may be receiving multiple email invitations for course evaluations, so it is crucial that you use this feature to personalize the course evaluation.
- If you want to direct your data into different buckets (e.g., by semester term or academic year) go to Survey Options | Multiple Response Sets and define your sets. When we distribute your evaluation, we'll direct the data into the appropriate set, or you can set a current active set in the Survey Options.
- To ensure that results remain anonymous, check Anonymize Response in the Survey Options. This option is strongly encouraged for course evaluations as it is currently the best way to keep student feedback anonymous and track who has or has not taken the survey.
- Go to Survey Flow | Embedded Data and add the embedded data fields from your panel that you will want to see in the Analyze Results view (e.g., College, Department, Course, etc). These will not show up in the survey, but they will be helpful for filtering your responses later.
- Distribute the course evaluation using the Qualtrics survey mailer. When selecting a time for the distribution, you can distribute immediately, in a number of hours, or select "Custom" and schedule the distribution to occur at some point in the future.
Note: The distribution is set to send "Now" by default!
- Select which panel you want to distribute the course evaluation to.
- Select Individual Link in the Advanced Options. Using "Individual Link" rather than "Anonymous Link" will allow you to take advantage of automated reminder and thank you emails, as well as a few other features.
Note: Individual Link is not anonymous unless you've checked "Anonymize Response" under Survey Options.
- Select the response set for your incoming data.
- In the invitation message, use the Pipe Text | Embedded Data feature to pipe in the student's name, course name, and instructor name into the message.
Note: Students may be receiving multiple email invitations for course evaluations, so it is crucial that you use this feature to personalize the course evaluation invitation.
- In the Analyze Results view, you can add subgroups and create filters and custom reports based on department, course, instructor, or whatever additional embedded data fields you included in your panel. See Filters and Subgroups.
Here is what a filter for "show course evaluation data for the Nursing department" looks like in the Initial Report view:
- In the Analyze Results view, you can make the reports public (via HTML link) or export to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or PDF.
- If you know you have data, but you're not seeing any in Qualtrics, you may need to switch from the default response set (the name is a long combination of letters and numbers) to the response set that you have active or that you chose when you mailed the distribution.
- If you want to use the Email History (found under Distribute Survey) for instructors who want to award students points or other incentives for completing the course evaluation, you will need to include the course information under the "ExternalDataReference" column in your CSV list (before you upload into the Qualtrics panel). This way, when you download the Mailing History, you can sort and filter by course and extract the information you need. The Mailing History also shows the completion status of the course evaluations:
- In general, never delete data from the "Individual Results" view. Once you delete data from here it is gone forever!
- Back up your data. Go to the Download Data area in the Analyze Results view and export your data in CSV format. Complete this at least at the end of every course evaluation period and save your backup data to a secure location on the S drive.
- Save your panel invitations in your message library so you can reuse them rather than recreate them each time you create a distribution.
- When naming your panels, follow a naming convention that matches our UWEC distribution lists, such as 0907.NURS.340.001 for the summer 2010 term for Nursing 340 section1.