What Questions Could the HLC Reviewer Ask Me?
Eight HLC Peer Reviewers will visit UW-Eau Claire on September 14-16 as part of the University’s 10-year re-accreditation. They will hold formal meetings and open forums as well as talk with faculty, staff and students as they walk the campus. They may ask you:
- Have you read or seen UW-Eau Claire’s self study?
- What do you know about accreditation?
- Where can you find the University’s mission and how do you help fulfill it?
- Name UW-Eau Claire’s greatest strength … and its weakness.
- Who is responsible for student learning on campus?
- How does the University provide an environment that encourages transformative learning?
- What do you think about how assessment is done on campus?
- How do you contribute to improving equity, diversity and inclusiveness at UW-Eau Claire?
- How are planning and budget linked at UW-Eau Claire?
- What is it like to work here? How is morale?
- How are people selected for committees? Who makes decisions on campus?
- What kinds of changes are taking place at UW-Eau Claire? Are they positive or negative?
- Do you know where to get a catalog, a financial report or committee minutes?
- What would you like to tell the Review Team to help them make a fair evaluation of this University?
- Why did you choose UW-Eau Claire? Have your expectations been met?
- Do you know where to go to get academic advice? Personal counseling? Make a complaint?
- Can you get the courses you need when you need them?
- Do students have the opportunity to provide the administration with input about the University?
- Is the library an important part of the education offered at UW-Eau Claire? How would you rate support for technology?
- What would you change if you could?
- What kind of education does the above-average student get? A transfer student? A non-traditional student? An under-prepared student?
- What do you like best about UW-Eau Claire? What do you like least?
For faculty members:
- How do faculty members participate in decision-making?
- How is a new course developed?
- What improvements have resulted from student learning assessment?
- How do faculty feel about teaching basic general education courses?
- What evidence demonstrates that students at UW-Eau Claire are mastering the Liberal Education Learning Goals?
- Is teaching and learning valued at UW-Eau Claire? Discovery? Service?
- What is the role of faculty in assuring academic quality?
- In what ways does the University make sure that assessment outcomes are used to guide decision making and resource allocation?
Questions are based on information provided by The Higher Learning Commission, www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org.