Turn our notes into thank-you notes
Audiences throughout Wisconsin and Minnesota appreciate the outstanding performances by the music ensembles of the UW-Eau Claire department of music and theatre arts. A primary cultural resource for the region, UW-Eau Claire music groups, including the Concert Choir, Blugold Marching Band, The Singing Statesmen and the University Symphony Orchestra, to name a few, perform nearly 60 concerts a year.
Each concert requires from three to 10 pieces of music. Multiply that by the number of performances, and the amount of music needed grows to a significant number - the cost of which is a financial challenge for the department. The state allocates a small amount of money to the department for services and supplies, and money is raised through events such as the Madrigal Dinner, but necessary expenses such as those to cover piano tuning means there is very little left over for the purchase of music.
The vast majority of the music that the ensembles play is either borrowed or self-generated. As a result, the variety and styles of music are greatly limited.
The need for music for the department of music and theatre arts ranges from one composition to music for an entire concert. The amount of support needed depends on the size of the ensemble and/or the number of parts required. Complex scores for the University Symphony Orchestra or Concert Choir require the greatest investment.
Purchase a composition
• $50 for an ensemble with fewer than 10 members and four parts
• $100 for an ensemble with 10 to20 members and four to eight parts
• $150 for an ensemble with 20 to 50 members and eight parts
• $250 for an ensemble with more than 50 members and several parts
Purchase a concert score
• $125 for an ensemble with fewer than 10 members and four parts
• $250 for an ensemble with 10 to 20 members and four to eight parts
• $500 for an ensemble with 20 to 50 members and eight parts
• $1,000 for an ensemble with 50 to 100 members
• $2,000 for the University Symphony Orchestra or Concert Choir
Thank you for considering a gift to help purchase music for the ensembles at UW-Eau Claire.