The mission of the UW-Eau Claire history department is to provide a high quality liberal education, based upon rigorous scholarly inquiry, to all of the students it serves. The department also seeks to engage the community through public history. Studying history increases students' social responsibility as they come to understand their own life experiences as part of a historical process. History students master the essential skills of a liberal education by learning to read critically, manage and analyze information, build logical arguments and write persuasively.
Your Gift Supports:
Support the general needs of the history department with a gift of any amount to the History Advancement Fund, which is used to meet the needs of the department that cannot be met by the state-assisted university operating budget. The fund enables the department to take advantage of opportunities to advance its cause.
The amount in parentheses indicates the annual amount required to meet current obligations:
- Campus visits by internationally recognized speakers through the history department and/or Center for History Teaching and Learning ($1,500).
- Recognition of student excellence through the Blackorby Book Award or the Outstanding Senior Award ($100 per award).
- Faculty travel to conferences through the History Faculty Honor Fund ($1,000).
- Stipends for public history internships ($1,000 per stipend).
- Oral history projects on the Vietnam War or immigration to the Chippewa Valley ($500 per interview).
- New scholarships for history students (minimum of $500 annual, $15,000 to endow).
- An existing history scholarship (gifts of any amount).
- Black History Month, Women's History Month or the Annual Symposium on Eastern Europe ($300 honorarium per speaker).
- Field trips to the Wisconsin Historical Society ($500).
- Teachers' use of the Chippewa Valley Museum collections in projects for the Western Wisconsin Regional National History Day Competition ($500).
- Subscriptions to major history journals ($300).
Thank you for considering a gift to benefit the history department at UW-Eau Claire. For more information, contact Dr. Kate Lang, department chair, at email@example.com or 715-836-4765.