print header

Overview of TEFL

Training to Teach English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Overseas

What is Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)?
English as a foreign language (EFL) is the instruction of English to speakers of other languages (e.g., Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai or Vietnamese) while the instructor is living outside of the United States.  EFL instructors can work for private language schools, public and private elementary, middle or high schools and universities/community colleges.  English is typically the language of instruction, but it does help if the teacher knows something of the language of that culture.  Individuals who obtain either a TEFL minor or TEFL certificate may go abroad individually or with an organization like the Peace Corps or the Fullbright Exchange.

Non-Licensure for the State of Wisconsin
The TEFL programs are appropriate for individuals in Arts and Sciences or other majors who

1) wish to teach English overseas and who do not intend to be in UW- Eau Claire's College of Education or teach in the State of Wisconsin and/or

2) desire to obtain either a TEFL minor or TEFL certificate may go abroad with the Peace Corps, on a Fulbright Excange, or on their own adventure and teach English

Carter Smith
Centennial Hall, Room 4923
(715) 836-3475