- Mowing, trimming, aerating, raking, spraying, fertilizing, irrigating, seeding, sodding.
Ornamental Planting & Maintenance:
- Designing, selecting, purchasing, planting, pruning, mulching, fertilizing, spraying, watering of trees, shrubs, perennial, annual flowers.
- Scheduling watering times; repairing, replacing, installing heads, valves, controllers and piping; winterizing.
Road and Lot Maintenance:
- Cleaning and patching pavement; cleaning catch basins and storm sewers.
- Cleaning, edging, repairing and replacing damaged walkways (with Carpentry Shop) and adjacent lawn areas.
Landscape Accessory Maintenance:
- Installing and maintaining benches, waste containers, ash urns, kiosks, sculptures, railings, fences and banner poles.
- Installing, repairing and replacing signage (coordinating with the Paint Shop).
- Pruning, grading and mulching of trails in Putnam Park.
- Sweeping, plowing, blowing and shoveling snow; spreading sand and deicers on parking and service lots, walkways, exterior stairways, ramps, curb cuts, providing extra attention to areas of handicapped accessibility. Also see the Snow & Ice Removal policy for more info.
- Picking and collecting trash on campus grounds; cleaning ash urns; assisting in demolition projects and hauling away construction debris.
Furniture and Equipment Moving:
Construction and Landscaping Projects
- Designing and installing various landscape projects, including walkways, plantings, retaining walls, stairways, ramps, signage, lighting, irrigation, sculpture bases, playground equipment, etc.; assuming maintenance of contracted projects by completing, correcting and/or cleaning up the site after the contractor leaves.
- Maintaining flood control structure and pumps; operating flood pumps.
Equipment Maintenance and Repair:
- Performing preventative maintenance and repairs on Grounds equipment, updating and upgrading equipment to perform Grounds duties efficiently.
- Purchasing, hauling and installing equipment and materials for other shops and departments as requested through the work-order process.
Project Design and Management:
- Designing, specifying, contracting, and inspecting projects that are beyond the scope of a maintenance organization; projects may include parking, roadway, walkway, drainage, athletic field, irrigation, lighting, fencing, signage and sculpture base developments.
- Contracting of large-scale or knowledge and/or equipment intensive projects.
- Paving, patching, crack filling and sealing of bituminous roadways, lots, tennis and basketball courts.
Fence Installation and Repair:
- Installing and repairing of chain link fences and gates.
Street and Lot Cleaning:
- Sweeping of the streets, service areas, and parking lots.
Construction Waste Disposal:
- Hauling and disposal of mixed construction waste.
Scrap Metal Recycling:
- Trapping of beavers and removing their dams.