Event Crew Chief
Reports to the Event Crew Student Manager
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES
This is a student supervisor position with an emphasis on overseeing the professional execution of lighting, sound and projection equipment for scheduled events. This position is responsible for the training/mentoring of the Production Technicians and their use of the facility/technical equipment required for the event. Work is performed in all areas of Event Services, including major events for which professional lighting/sound/projection is used. Leadership and communication skills are paramount as the Production Technicians are expected to work autonomously in a very customer service-based role. Event Crew Chiefs are always expected to set a professional example for the junior technicians.
- Oversee the autonomous execution of the load-in, setup, monitoring, teardown, striking of required production equipment including lighting, sound and projection equipment for large major special events and scheduled events in Zorn Arena.
- Provide excellent customer service while mentoring the scheduled Event Crew I, Event Crew II and volunteer staff.
- Oversee the professional execution of scheduled events.
- Supervise scheduled technician/volunteer staff.
- Attend all University Activities Commission Special Events committee meetings as the Event Crew liaison.
- Provide the Scheduling Coordinator with input prior to scheduling/planning events in Zorn Arena.
- Recommend Production Technicians for events to the Scheduling Coordinator using knowledge of their expertise and abilities.
- Assist in the audio-visual training of Production Technicians, Student Building Managers, Event Services staff and University Centers staff.
- Work with individual technicians as needed for training during events.
- Encourage Event Crew I and Event Crew II to complete required or needed training.
- Assist the Event Crew Student Manager in revising and updating the resources (owner’s manuals, system instruction sheets, data cards, equipment, etc.) used by Production Technicians.
- Assist in the evaluation, implemented upkeep and organization of equipment and resources used by staff.
- Assist with disciplinary procedures of Event Crew I and Event Crew II staff.
- Uphold and oversee all state, university and University Centers policies.
DRIVING RECORDThe applicant is not qualified for the Event Crew Chief position if any of the following conditions apply:
1. Frequency of moving violation(s) and/or fault accident(s):
a. Two or more within a three-year period
b. Six or more traffic violation demerit points within a three-year period
2. Violations within the past 12 months for the following:
a. Drunk driving
b. Driving under the influence of drugs
c. Reckless driving
QUALIFICATIONS AND SALARY
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be comfortable lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must have at least two full semesters remaining as a UW-Eau Claire student at the time of application
- Must be in good academic standing (both cumulative and last semester’s grade point average of at least 2.0)
- Must carry at least six undergraduate or five graduate credits
- Must have a strong sense of professional courtesy and customer service
- Must have solid foundation of knowledge of technical aspects of events and systems
- Must be keenly interested in developing technical knowledge in self and others through hands-on experience
The Event Crew Chief is required to work up to 20 hours per week during the semester. Any hours available during winter or summer breaks may vary. These hours are not required, but may be offered to an Event Crew Chief before other technicians. Specific duties may vary during break periods, although job title and base pay will not change.
The Event Crew Chief is compensated according to the University Centers Wage Classification Scale as Advanced Level II and has a probationary period of six weeks of employment. To receive full status at the end of the probationary period, the employee must demonstrate a strong ability to perform the listed duties. If the performance during the probationary period is not satisfactory to the Event Crew Student Manager, or the duties to the employee, the position may be terminated. All longevity and training increases will carry over and add to the base wage. This position is a one-year (annual) position. The Event Crew Chief may reapply and have the contract renewed for additional terms if chosen by the interview committee.