The College of Nursing and Health Sciences at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire seeks an Academic Department Chair for the Department of Nursing to start June 2, 2014. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The Academic Department Chair provides leadership for the Department of Nursing in consultation and cooperation with the Dean and faculty through shared governance. The Chair develops and maintains a positive and productive work environment which promotes excellence in teaching, scholarship, service and advising. The Chair provides leadership through participation in college and university-wide policy and decision-making activities. This is predominantly an administrative appointment though the chair may teach 1-3 credits per academic year.
The Academic Department Chair has the authority and leadership responsibility to:
- Develop and articulate the collective departmental vision;
- Anticipate and evaluate departmental goals and initiatives;
- Foster civility, collegiality and collaboration within and between departments, units and colleges;
- Establish a positive, supportive, productive and healthy work environment for all members of the department;
- Advocate actively on behalf of the department;
- Support, encourage, and promote curriculum development and innovative teaching practices;
- Facilitate career-long professional growth of all department members;
- Facilitate service of department members to the college and to the university;
- Capitalize on the individual talent and capabilities of department members to realize the mission of the department;
- Advocate proactively for recruitment and retention of faculty and staff in order to promote stability and diversity within the department;
- Conduct the business and personnel actions of the department in a way which is fair, complete and consistent with university policy.
The Academic Department Chair has the authority and responsibility for management and oversight of:
- Personnel actions including: recruitment, annual performance, evaluation, salary, reappointment, promotion, and tenure processes as recommended by the Department Personnel Committee (DPC);
- Teaching and class schedules;
- Stewardship and procurement for the department budget;
- Departmental budget related to travel, supplies, sick leave and vacation;
- Reports, as requested by the dean, provost and chancellor.
The Academic Department Chair participates with the Dean or member of the Dean's office but is not primarily responsible for:
- Facilitating alumni relations, community outreach and development activities;
- Student support issues including prospective student recruiting;
- Administration, assessment, and evaluation of all department programs and curriculum;
- Departmental outreach activities to both alumni and interested community members;
- Equipment inventory and facilities assigned to the department;
- Participating in the branding of the college of nursing.
- Doctorate in nursing or closely related field;
- Master's degree in nursing;
- Eligible for tenure;
- Eligible for RN licensure in Wisconsin.
The College of Nursing and Health Sciences serves over 800 undergraduate and graduate students, with an expanding faculty and staff. We offer CCNE accredited traditional and BSN-completion programs and MSN programs. The BSN programs are offered in Eau Claire and Marshfield, WI, connected by interactive video. The BSN-completion program is part of a collaborative statewide initiative, providing both distance and onsite course offerings. At the graduate level, students select Adult/Gerontological or Family population and role preparation in nursing education, administration, or advanced clinical practice (nurse practitioner or clinical nurse specialist). A Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program was launched in summer 2010.
To apply, submit the following:
- A letter of application
- Curriculum vita
- Copies of transcripts
- Proof of RN licensure
- Names and contact information for three references
Submit materials in pdf format.
You must apply online at UW-Eau Claire Careers. Click the UW-Eau Claire Careers link to the Nursing Department chair position (Job ID # 9231). Instructions for applying online are available under the Apply Online FAQs link. You must create an account and login before you can apply. If you have not yet registered, click on the "Click here to Register" link to begin the registration process. If you are already a registered user, input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login." Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are completed.
If you have application questions, call or email:
Dr. Mary Canales, Chair of Search and Screen Committee
College of Nursing and Health Sciences
Review of applications will begin September 5, 2013. Screening will continue until the position is filled.
A criminal background check will be required prior to employment. The University reserves the right to contact references of its own choosing at an appropriate time in the process.
To learn more, visit the Web site: www.uwec.edu/employment