A probationary tenure-track faculty position is available in the Department of Music and Theatre Arts at the rank of Assistant Professor in Composition. The position is available beginning August 19, 2013. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Teach applied composition, a beginning composition course, music theory core courses, orchestration, and electronic music as assigned.
- Direct the contemporary music ensemble.
- Pursue an active career as a composer.
- Provide academic advising to composition majors and other students as assigned, engage in service to the university and community, and participate in department, college, and university committee work.
- PhD or DMA in composition. ABD applicants will be considered but degree must be completed by March 29, 2014.
- Ability to teach applied composition, composition courses, and theory courses at the collegiate level.
- Experience teaching applied composition, composition courses, and/or theory courses at the collegiate level.
- Evidence of performances of compositions in a variety of settings.
- Experience directing faculty/student contemporary music ensembles.
- Commitment to equity and inclusiveness and ability to bring diverse perspectives and experiences to campus.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM:
The Department of Music and Theatre Arts serves approximately 320 music majors and minors supported by 27 full-time and 9 part-time faculty. The department and its musical programs are highly regarded in the state and region and enrich the Eau Claire community while providing outstanding academic opportunities. Academic programs include the BM degree in performance, theory and composition; the BME degree in instrumental, choral and general music education; the BA and BS degrees in music and music history. All degree programs are fully accredited by NASM. The department also serves 95 majors and minors supported by 6 full-time faculty and two staff in undergraduate programs in theatre arts and dance and offers BA degrees in theatre and theatre education, as well as a minor in dance. Applicants are encouraged to peruse the department's website at www.uwec.edu/Mus-The .
- Letter of application
- Curriculum vita
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Copies of undergraduate and graduate school transcripts
- Three current reference letters
- A list of two references that as a whole speak to teaching and compositional abilities
- 2-3 scores (pdf format)
- High-quality recordings (mp3) of recent performances of compositions
Apply online at http://www.uwec.edu/Employment/uweccareers.htm
Click on the link to the Composition position, and then click the "Apply Now" button. You must create an account and login before you can apply. If you have not yet registered, click on the "Click here to Register" link to begin the registration process. If you are already a registered user, input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login." Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are completed.
Please direct questions to:
Ms. Nichole Akright
Music and Theatre Arts
To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received by November 15, 2012. However, screening may continue until the position is filled.
A criminal background check is required prior to employment. Please contact Dr. Vanissa Murphy, Chair, Department of Music and Theatre Arts (firstname.lastname@example.org ) to request any accommodation necessary to aid your participation in our hiring process. UW-Eau Claire is an AA/EEO employer striving to recruit, develop, and retain employees from varied backgrounds.
To learn more, visit the Web site: www.uwec.edu/employment