Two probationary tenure-track faculty positions are available in the Department of Mathematics at the rank of Assistant Professor (or higher) with an emphasis in Actuarial Science. The positions will begin August 25, 2014. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- The primary responsibilities of the position are to teach undergraduate courses in statistics and actuarial science for both majors and non-majors as assigned in the Department of Mathematics, participate in research and other scholarly activities, engage undergraduates in student/faculty collaboration, and be actively engaged with advising and the professional development of students enrolled in the Actuarial Science program.
- Other responsibilities include service to the Department, the University, the community, and the profession.
- The typical teaching load is three courses per semester with two preparations.
- Either (1) a Ph.D. in actuarial science, statistics, risk management, or related discipline with demonstrated commitment to the actuarial profession, or (2) Fellowship in the Society of Actuaries, Casualty Actuarial Society, or other internationally recognized professional actuarial association is required.
- Ph.D. or Fellowship must be earned by August 25, 2014.
- Applicants must have a commitment to undergraduate teaching at all levels and present evidence of the potential for teaching excellence.
- The successful applicant will also present evidence of the potential to produce scholarship that contributes significantly to the profession.
- Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate capability of producing research to support the program earning the designation "Center of Actuarial Excellence" from the Society of Actuaries.
- The Department is especially interested in applicants who bring diverse perspectives to the University, and those who may be especially effective in mentoring and advising students who are members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in the discipline.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Mathematics has 29 tenured or tenure-track faculty, and offers undergraduate programs in mathematics, actuarial science, and mathematics education. The actuarial science program is thriving, having grown substantially in number of students, faculty, and courses offered. The program is interdisciplinary and consists of a comprehensive major as well as an accompanying minor. Approximately 400 students are currently pursuing mathematics majors or minors, 150 of whom are majoring or minoring in actuarial science.
Materials required in PDF format:
- Letter of application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three current letters of recommendation, at least one of which addresses the potential for teaching effectiveness
Application materials should be submitted electronically to: http://www.mathjobs.org/
If you have application questions, call or email:
Professor Alex Smith, Chair
Department of Mathematics
715-836-3673 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Consideration of completed applications will begin November 1, 2013, and will continue until the positions are filled.
The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process. Applicants' names are subject to public release unless confidentiality has been requested in writing. Names of all finalists must be released upon request.
A criminal background check will be required prior to employment.
To learn more, visit the Web site: www.uwec.edu/employment