The Materials Science Program at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire seeks a tenure track faculty member at the rank of Assistant Professor to start August 25, 2014. In addition to serving the needs and interests of the Materials Science Program, this position may also teach in another science department depending on qualifications.
- Instructional responsibilities typically include one lower division course (with labs) and one upper division course each semester.
- Teaching responsibilities will include materials science and introductory-level science courses, depending on background.
- Faculty are expected to establish and maintain research programs involving undergraduate students.
- Advising responsibilities will include advising students in a materials science major.
- Faculty are expected to provide service through committee work and outreach activities, participate in department, college, and university committee work, and carry out other duties as assigned.
- A PhD in Materials Science or a closely related science or engineering field is required (PhD must be awarded by January 1st, 2014).
- A strong commitment to undergraduate teaching and the ability to establish a research program involving undergraduates is required.
- Research interest in either materials processing or computational materials science may be considered an asset.
- Research compatible with the existing Materials Science Center infrastructure may be considered an asset.
- Professional experience beyond a PhD may be considered an asset.
- The ability to bring diverse cultural and ethnic experiences and perspectives to the campus and to serve as a role model and mentor for women and/or minorities may be considered an asset.
THE MATERIALS SCIENCE PROGRAM
The Materials Science Program is an interdisciplinary program that has grown out of the Department of Physics and Astronomy and the Department of Chemistry. The program graduates 5-10 majors per year. The program currently is composed of five faculty and two analytical scientists. The program strives to provide quality undergraduate education to students with a variety of educational goals. The program supports the Materials Science Center through collaborations with industry and outreach to K-12 institutions. The Center provides access to a wide array of materials characterization instrumentation and an expanding array of materials processing instrumentation. More information is available at http://www.uwec.edu/matsci/ .
Please be sure to include only the following in PDF format (preferably in a single pdf format file):
- Letter of application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of teaching interests and experience
- statement of research plans including involvement of undergraduate students
- The names of three individuals prepared to provide references upon request
- Graduate and undergraduate transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable for the application but official copies will be required befor the position is offered).
You must apply online at UW-Eau Claire Careers. Click the UW-Eau Claire Careers link: Materials Science: Assistant Professor (Job ID # 9299). Instructions are available under the Apply Online FAQs link. You must create an account and login before you can apply. If you have not yet registered, click on the "Click here to Register" link to begin the registration process. If you are already a registered user, input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login." Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are completed.
If you have application questions, contact:
Dr. Marc McEllistrem, Search Committee Chair
To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received by the priority date of December 1, 2013. However, screening may continue until the position is filled.
A criminal background check will be required prior to employment.
UW-Eau Claire is an AA/EEO employer striving to recruit, develop, and retain employees from varied backgrounds. Please contact Ann Ormond-Fennell at 715-836-5504 or email@example.com to request any accommodation necessary to aid your participation in our hiring process.To learn more, visit the Web site: www.uwec.edu/employment