A full-time professional academic staff position is available in the UW-Eau Claire Learning and Technology Services unit as a Networking and Emerging Technology Services Coordinator. The official title is Information Processing Consultant, and the position has an anticipated start date of June 1, 2013. This is a renewable position, based on satisfactory performance.
UW-Eau Claire is committed to expand the high-impact practices, transformative innovation and immersion experiences associated with the excellence in teaching and learning of the University while highlighting student access to applications, data resources and social interaction. The ubiquitous presence of smart-phones by students, laptop policies for classwork, projects and computer-based testing are propelling the necessity for high-speed wireless access with Quality-of-Control measures to insure integrity and secure access to University resources and universal content. Recognizing the priority for robust, reliable data, voice and video communication UW-Eau Claire will be filling a position focused on wireless to support and enhance the campus mobile technology infrastructure.
Basic Function and Responsibility
- This position is part of the Technical Services team in Learning and Technology Services. The Technical Services group provides the expertise needed to support and maintain the integral parts of the server platforms, management/monitoring applications, back office services, directory services, e-mail, networking infrastructure and services, voice services and network and server security systems and administration.
- The campus data transport network consists of copper, fiber optic cable and a campus-wide wireless infrastructure. Three high performance multilayer switch routers form the campus backbone via multi-gigabit optical fiber. Building main distribution frames connect to all wiring closets for room connections. Internet connection is through WiscNet, BCN and SpiraLight. All residence halls include four 100 Mbps Ethernet ports per room and wireless Ethernet covers most of lower campus and open areas of upper campus with full coverage in process. This position provides the analysis, design, specifying, selecting, and building of complex data transport networks and provides support including problem determination and problem resolution. Technical Services personnel provide client, server and network expertise to the campus.
- Recognizing the priority for robust, reliable data, voice and video communication, this position will be focused on wireless to support and enhance the campus mobile technology infrastructure.
- This position is also currently responsible for tasks and functions related to security officer responsibilities. This includes design, recommendations, development, implementation and administration of management/monitoring and threat seeking systems on the network, servers and workstations.
- This position needs to maintain technological expertise in the latest advances in routing protocols, multicast, multilayer switching, switch/router configuration as well as transports such as multi-Gigabit Ethernet and optical switching. Assistance in development of workgroups and resources throughout the Intranet/Internet to provide the highest level of performance for collaborative research and advanced learning environments is a part of this position's responsibility.
- This position insures that network communications are developed, managed, maintained and supported. This is a highly technical position requiring knowledge of a wide range of network technologies and the ability necessary to implement new technologies with other support people both within LTS and other campus units. The position provides support for the electronic infrastructure, servers/hosts, data exchange services and video streaming/conferencing.
- This position is responsible for assisting in developing programs and applications to enable the continuous advancement in monitoring and management of the network for: security, bandwidth, process utilization, performance and accounting of resources allocated.
- This position may be required to trouble-shoot and resolve networking, servers/hosts, data exchange services and video transport issues at any time.
This position must:
- Possess an in depth understanding of the computer field with a focus on wireless networks and protocols needed to support complex data transports.
- Network monitoring/management skills using the latest tools, processes and protocols.
- Possess strong analytical, problem solving, organizational, prioritization and communication skills.
- Knowledge of the server platforms, management/monitoring applications, back office services, directory services, e-mail, networking infrastructure and services, voice services and network and server security systems and administration and system security development and implementation.
- Critical to success in this position is the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities in a fast paced environment with changing and escalating priorities as well as the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Applications are submitted electronically. Interested candidates should apply online at: http://www.uwec.edu/Employment/uweccareers.
Click the UW-Eau Claire Careers link. Learning and Technology Services: Networking and Emerging Technology Services Coordinator (Job ID #9014). Instructions are available under the Apply Online FAQs link. You must create an account and login before you can apply. If you have not yet registered, click on the "Click here to Register" link to begin the registration process. If you are already a registered user, input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login." Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are completed.
Please be sure you have included the following in PDF format:
- Letter of application
- Names and contact information for at least three professional references.
If you have application questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
The priority deadline for applications is May 10, 2013. However, screening may continue until the position is filled.
A criminal background check will be required prior to employment.
To learn more, visit the Web site: www.uwec.edu/employment