Priority Application Date extended to October 25, 2013.
The Department of English at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire invites applications for a probationary tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor with an emphasis in English Education. We will also consider applicants at higher ranks. The position will start August 25, 2014. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
- The successful candidate will teach courses as assigned in the English Department, including English education methods courses and supervision of student teachers.
- All department members teach a 5-credit composition course every semester in addition to general and specialized courses.
- The typical semester load is 3 courses, equivalent to 11-12 credits.
- The successful candidate will also participate in administration of the English education program.
- In addition, all department members participate in research and scholarly activities, provide academic advising to students, engage in service to the university and community, and participate in department, college, and university committee work.
- Earned doctorate in English education or closely related field.
- Candidates who are ABD will be considered, but all requirements for the doctoral degree must be completed by December 30, 2014.
- Evidence of exemplary teaching, including a minimum of two years of successful teaching at the middle or secondary level in the United States.
- Evidence of strong scholarship or scholarly potential.
- Additional assets may include evidence of the following:
- Excellent teaching in English education methods courses.
- Experience supervising field experiences.
- Excellent teaching in college-level composition.
- Experience with instructional technology used in the 21st century classroom.
- Leadership in English education, including program administration.
- Commitment to undergraduate liberal education.
- Commitment to the values of equity, diversity, and inclusiveness, especially in multicultural instructional contexts.
The English Department is a thriving, diverse academic community dedicated to excellence in teaching and learning. The department offers rigorous emphases in literature, creative writing, scientific and technical writing, linguistics, and education to English majors and minors. There is also a small and vital Masters program in English. Please see our website for more information: http://www.uwec.edu/english/
To apply, be sure you have included the following in PDF format:
- A letter of application, including a statement of teaching philosophy
- Curriculum vita
- graduate school transcripts (official or unofficial)
- three letters of recommendation
- writing sample (15-25 pages)
Applications are submitted electronically: UW-Eau Claire Careers .
You must create an account and login before you can apply. If you have not yet registered, click on the "Click here to Register" link to begin the registration process. If you are already a registered user, input your user name and password and select "Login." Click the link to the "English: Assistant Professor in English Education position" (Job ID# 9279) and then click the "Apply Now" button. Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are completed.
If you have application questions, please email Dr. Carmen Manning, English Department Chair, at email@example.com .
To ensure priority consideration, completed applications must be received by October 25, 2013 (extended from the original priority date of October 18, 2013). However, screening may continue until the position is filled.
The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process.
A criminal background check will be required prior to employment.
To learn more, visit the Web site: www.uwec.edu/employment