The Department of English at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire invites applications for a probationary tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor with an emphasis in English Education. The position will start August 20, 2012.
- The successful candidate will teach courses as assigned in the English Department, including English education methods courses and supervision of student teachers.
- All department members teach a 5-credit composition course every semester in addition to general and specialized courses.
- The typical semester load is 3 courses, equivalent to 11-12 credits.
- The successful candidate will also participate in administration of the English education program.
- In addition, all department members participate in research and scholarly activities, provide academic advising to students, engage in service to the university and community, and participate in department, college, and university committee work.
- Earned doctorate in English education or closely related field.
- Candidates who are ABD will be considered, but all requirements for the doctoral degree must be completed by August 20, 2012.
- Salary will be commensurate with teaching experience.
- The successful candidate will show evidence of exemplary teaching, including a minimum two years of successful teaching at the middle or secondary level.
- The successful candidate will also have evidence of strong scholarship or scholarly potential.
- Additional assets may include evidence of the following:
- Excellent teaching in college-level English education methods courses.
- Experience supervising field experiences.
- Excellent teaching in composition at the college level.
- Experience and training in teaching introductory linguistics.
- Knowledge of instructional technology used in the 21st century classroom.
- Leadership in English education including program administration.
- Commitment to undergraduate liberal education.
- Commitment to the values of equity, diversity, and inclusiveness, especially in multicultural instructional contexts.
The English Department is a thriving, diverse academic community dedicated to excellence in teaching and learning. The department offers rigorous emphases in literature, creative writing, scientific and technical writing, linguistics, and education to English majors and minors. There is also a small and vital Masters program in English. Please see our website for more information: http://www.uwec.edu/english/
To apply, send the following:
- A letter of application, including description of teaching philosophy
- Curriculum vita
- Writing sample (15-25 pages)
- Graduate transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation.
Application materials should be submitted to:
Dr. Carmen Manning, Chair
ATTN: English Education Search
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
Eau Claire, WI 54702-4004
To ensure priority consideration, completed applications must be received by October 21, 2011. However, screening may continue until the position is filled.
A criminal background check will be required prior to employment.
To learn more, visit the Web site: www.uwec.edu/employment