A full-time position is available at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire to serve as Director of Advising and New Student Initiatives beginning October 1, 2014 (start date negotiable). The official title for this assignment is Director, Academic Advising (M). This is an ongoing assignment, contingent on performance. This position reports to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Strategic Enrollment. The salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
The Director of Advising and New Student Initiatives reports to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Strategic Enrollment and is responsible for the following areas: Academic Advising, including the advising of undeclared students, transfer students and youth options students; Academic Testing, including the Educational Testing Service Computer Based testing site; Non-traditional Student Services; new Student Orientation, including freshman and transfer orientation; First Year Experience and the Blugold Family Connections program. In consultation with staff, the director determines priorities and develops and implements policies. The director has budgetary and supervisory authority for the unit and its staff. In addition the director has campus-wide advising responsibility and serves as an adviser for undeclared students.
Specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Work with units throughout the university to improve the advising of all UW-Eau Claire students.
- Develop and coordinate systems for assessment and ongoing improvement of academic advising across the university.
- Provide leadership for faculty development in the area of advising and coordinate the dissemination of academic information.
- Monitor course availability and make corrective recommendations to the associate vice chancellor for strategic enrollment.
- Maintain and develop expertise in academic advising models, systems, research and resources.
- Serves on the Associate Deans' group.
Management and Supervision:
- Oversee staff and operations in Academic Advising, Academic Testing, Nontraditional Student Services, New Student Orientation, First year experience and Blugold Family Connections.
- Work with all staff to evaluate programming within the larger unit.
- Administer budgets for unit.
- Oversee the advising and orientation of youth options students, working with the Admissions staff to provide a seamless experience for high school students.
Undeclared Student Advising:
- Plan, manage and evaluate programs and services for undeclared students.
- Provide leadership in researching and adopting best practices for working with undeclared students.
- Work with Career Services to provide career development programming for undeclared students.
- Serve as an adviser, providing academic and career advising to undeclared students.
- Master's degree from a regionally accredited university.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience as an academic adviser in a higher education setting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience implementing best practices in academic advising.
- Demonstrated experience in program development, evaluation, fiscal management and supervision in an academic setting.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with faculty and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Commitment to equity and inclusiveness and diverse perspectives and experiences.
Materials required in pdf format:
- Letter of application
- Curriculum vita
- Unofficial transcript
- Names and contact information for three references.
Applications are submitted electronically. Please follow instructions found on the following UW-Eau Claire web site: UW-Eau Claire Careers. Select Job Title: Director of Advising and New Student Initiatives; Job ID #9805; and click the Apply Now button. You must create an account/register and login to apply. If you have not yet registered, click on the "Click here to Register" link to begin the registration process. If you are already a registered user, input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login." Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are complete. Please submit materials in PDF format only.
Please direct requests for additional information to: Ms. Sarah Forcier at firstname.lastname@example.org
To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received by July 10, 2014. However, screening may continue until position is filled. The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process. Names of the top five finalists must be released upon request. A criminal background check is required prior to employment.
To learn more, visit the Web site: www.uwec.edu/employment