Priority application date extended to April 12, 2013.
The Division of Student Affairs at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire invites applications for a full-time position as the Director of the Children’s Nature Academy, with an appointment to begin on June 1, 2013. Salary is commensurate with experience.
The director’s primary responsibility is to maintain a nurturing environment for young children that will foster growth and development, as well as supervise and provide leadership for a staff of permanent and student employees. Principle functions and duties are:
- Recruit, interview, select, train, schedule, supervise and evaluate all teaching, student, and support staff to maintain high standards of personal, educational, safety and diversity factors.
- Maintain a nurturing environment for young children which enhance each child's physical, emotional, social, creative, and cognitive development promoting self-esteem and acceptance of differences.
- Prepare, in consultations with the Children's Nature Academy Advisory Committee, and administrator, the annual budget.
- Administer the scheduling of children to keep enrollment at capacity, maintaining appropriate student/teacher ratios and staff/child ratios.
- Supervise the purchase and maintenance of equipment and supplies.
- Supervise the accounts procedures.
- Supervise the orientation of new children and their families, and student service/learners for academic credit and noncredit.
- Administer the Child Care Food Program.
- Develop and maintain communication, and write grants to potential sources of funding for students and the Academy.
- Encourage parent education, communication, and involvement.
- Direct the evaluation of existing programs and functions and the implementation of new programs and functions.
- Supervise the Infant and Toddler Program and oversee the grant budget and annual paperwork.
- Provide leadership to advance nature academy focus of new center.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Achieved a master's degree in education or a related field by June 1, 2013.
- Minimum of five (5) years teaching experience.
- Minimum of two (2) years administration experience in an early childhood setting.
- Supervisory experience.
- Passion and knowledge of nature curriculum.
- Knowledge of NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children) Accreditation and ECERS (Early Childhood Environment Rating Scale).
- Some experience in grant writing.
- Leadership skills -- working with teachers/adult students/parents.
- Budget management skills.
- Experience in a college setting preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering a diverse working and learning environment.
- Collaboration between university departments and community.
- Experience in the development of partnerships and collaboration.
Applications are submitted electronically. Interested candidates should apply online at: http://www.uwec.edu/Employment/uweccareers.
Click the UW-Eau Claire Careers link. Student Affairs: Director of the Children’s Nature Academy. Instructions are available under the Apply Online FAQs link. You must create an account and login before you can apply. If you have not yet registered, click on the "Click here to Register" link to begin the registration process. If you are already a registered user, input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login." Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are completed.
Please be sure you have included the following in PDF format (a single pdf file is required):
- Letter of application
- Contact information of three references.
Direct questions or requests for additional information to Ms. Julie Carr, Search Coordinator, email@example.com or phone 715-836-5992.
To ensure consideration, applications must be received by April 12, 2013 (was previously March 28, 2013). However, screening may continue until the position is filled.
A criminal background check will be required prior to employment.
To learn more, visit the Web site: www.uwec.edu/employment