The Alumni/Development unit with the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is seeking a Major Gifts Officer and Gift Planning Coordinator. This is a full-time professional academic staff position within the Chancellor's division with an official title as Development Specialist. The anticipated start date is September 4, 2012.
- Contact alumni and friends on behalf of the university and schedule appointments to meet them to discover their potential interest in making a gift and their capacity to do so.
- Implement strategies for comprehensive efforts to secure major gifts of $10,000 and above from alumni and friends of UW-Eau Claire. Schedule appointments with prospective donors, make face-to-face calls, accomplish specific objectives for each call as developed in conjunction with supervisor and provide follow up reports on visits.
- Serve as the unit's primary contact for donors wishing to discuss estate and gift planning; serve as main liaison with external planned giving information providers for online gift planning information; coordinate gift planning mailings and publications and serve as unit's liaison with the UW-Madison Foundation for planned giving services.
- Have responsibility for ensuring that the Foundation's planned giving website has current and accurate information. Serve as the Foundation's liaison with the third-party contractor providing planned giving information for the website. Supervise the production of the Foundation's Gift Planning newsletter.
- Engage in direct and systematic cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major prospects and donors. Have direct responsibility for maintaining and building relationships with a portfolio of major gift prospects.
- Participate in prospect research activities and strategy sessions to identify and evaluate prospects for major gifts.
- Assist in hosting campus visits and other special activities to cultivate major donor prospects and encourage their decision-making on major gift proposals.
- Represent UW-Eau Claire Foundation at various fundraising and other appropriate meetings where fundraising is warranted. Make formal and information presentations. Provide staff support for projects as assigned.
- When gifts are secured, work with the development staff to establish funds and create and implement appropriate donor recognition and stewardship activities.
- Bachelor's degree required from a regionally accredited institution.
- Demonstrated ability to contact individuals over the phone and internet to schedule appointments, make face-to-face visits and build positive relationships between UW-Eau Claire alumni and the University for soliciting charitable gifts on behalf of the university.
- Must be highly motivated, organized and flexible.
- A major portion of responsibilities will be focused on contacting alumni and friends throughout Wisconsin and in designated areas within the United State. Ability and willingness to travel regularly in Wisconsin and to strategic locations in the United States where UW-Eau Claire alumni are located is required.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills required. .
- Status as a UW-Eau Claire alum and/or experience working with planned giving resources/materials would be considered strong assets.
- Commitment to equity and inclusiveness and diverse perspectives and experiences would be considered an asset.
The Development/Alumni /Foundation area is the legally recognized entity to solicit, receive, manage and disburse private gifts on behalf of the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire and its people and programs. The Foundation recently completed the Fulfilling the Promise of Excellence Campaign, its historic endeavor to raise more than $50 million in private support for the university's people and programs. The unit is actively engaged in the planning and quiet phase of a major funding drive to culminate with the university's Centennial celebration in 2016. Each year the Foundation transfers more than $4 million in annual support to the university, including more than $1 million annually in scholarships and student awards.
Please send electronically in word or pdf format the following:
- a letter of application
- curriculum vitae
- contact information for three references
Send materials to:
Ms. Marcia Van Beek, Screening Committee Chair
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
Eau Claire, WI 54702-4004
To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received by August 17, 2012. However, screening may continue until the position is filled.
A criminal background check will be required prior to employment. Please contact Marcia Van Beek to request any accommodation necessary to aid your participation in our hiring process.
To learn more, visit the Web site: www.uwec.edu/employment