The office of Advising and New Student Initiatives at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is seeking a 50% professional academic staff position to work as an academic adviser for international students. This position will start on January 13, 2014. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is a renewable appointment contingent on performance.
This position serves as the initial contact for international students regarding course selection. The person works with academic departments, Registration, and the Center for International Education (CIE) to facilitate the registration of these students prior to their arrival on campus. Once the students are on campus, the position serves as a back-up adviser for international students, working with departments to establish four year plans and checking on the academic progress of international students. The position also works with CIE to plan and implement Orientation for International students. Review students' program application information and assist with the interviewing and selection of project participants.
Specifically, the adviser will:
- Advise incoming international students regarding course selection
- Communicate directly and/or virtually with students before they arrive to advise them on course selection, credit transfers, and related orientation issues
- Collaborate with departments and students so that each student, where possible, is registered for at least 12 credits before the student arrives to campus
- Advise incoming degree-seeking international students regarding academic opportunities such as the honors program as appropriate
- Facilitate exchange/grant student second semester course registration during priority registration in cooperation with departments and the registrar's office
- Serve as a supplemental adviser to degree-seeking international students once they are here.
- Collaborate with academic departments so that they have a clear understanding of academic requirements for exchange, grant, scholarship, degree, second degree, and dual degree programs
- Provide academic advising for students matriculating from the Intensive English Program into a degree program
- Facilitate course transfer issues including "defers," "consults," and "pre-requisite overrides" for international students
- Collaborate with academic departments to develop long term (such as 4 year) degree plans for students who are required to submit a long term degree plan as part of their particular program
- Help International Education prepare, plan, and implement international student orientation
- Coordinate advising sessions with academic departments and course registration for international students during international student orientation
- In collaboration with International Education, design "extended orientation" programming for international students during the first weeks of the semester
- Help monitor the academic progress of international students
- Do research on the success of international students to help determine course selection outcomes
- Assess student and departmental satisfaction and success with advising and registration processes
- Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Experience working with international students
- Experience working collaboratively with faculty and staff at the postsecondary level
- Commitment to equity and inclusiveness and diverse perspectives and experiences
- Experience working at UW-Eau Claire
Applications are submitted electronically. Interested candidates should apply online at: UW-Eau Claire Careers .
You must create an account and login before you can apply. If you have not yet registered, click on the "Click here to Register" link to begin the registration process. If you are already a registered user, input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login." Click the link to the Advising and New Student Initiatives: Academic Adviser for International Students position (Job ID# 9372) and then click the "Apply Now" button to submit your application electronically. Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are completed.
Please be sure you have included the following in PDF format:
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three references.
If you have application questions, please email email@example.com .
To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received by November 11, 2013. However, screening may continue until the position is filled.
A criminal background check will be required prior to employment.
To learn more, visit the Web site: www.uwec.edu/employment