The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is seeking a Director of the Academic Skills Center and Coordinator of the Student Success Center. This unit falls within the division of Academic Affairs and has an anticipated start date of August 12, 2013. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This position is responsible for the overall direction and supervision of the Academic Skills Center. The Center provides tutoring in reading and study strategies as well as content specific tutoring; offers credit bearing academic support courses; oversees supplemental instruction and is responsible for the Collegiate Bridge program and the College Achievement program for students whose first language is not English. In addition to overall direction of the Academic Skills Center, the director will serve as the math and science tutoring coordinator. This position also serves as the overall coordinator of the Student Success Center that includes the Center for Writing Excellence and the Math lab. The Office for Services for Students with Disabilities reports to this position. In addition, the position provides a leadership role for the university's efforts to help "at-risk students" and students in academic difficulty.
Duties/Responsibilities of the Director related to the Academic Skills Center
- Direct and evaluate all ASC programs and services, hiring, training and supervising unit personnel and managing the budget.
- Provide general supervision for the Collegiate Bridge and College Achievement Programs.
- Coordinate the design and implementation of ASC tutorial programs to meet student, faculty, and staff needs, including special populations.
- Coordinate the offerings and evaluate the Gen courses offered each semester.
- Oversee the hiring, training, and evaluation of student tutors.
- Coordinate tutoring in the areas of math and/or science.
- Supervise supplemental instruction leaders.
- Promote positive relationships with students, staff, faculty, and administrators to generate a positive working and learning climate.
Duties related to the Student Success Center
- Oversee the common reception desk and the scheduling of all shared spaces.
- Oversee the computer data system used to schedule student appointments and maintain records of student contacts.
- Work with the other directors to determine the best use of space.
- Supervise the director of the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities.
- Provide leadership to assist the institution in identifying "at-risk" students and in developing, coordinating and implementing programs and services that support the success of those students.
- Take the leadership role in analyzing student tutoring needs across campus and working with others to address those needs.
- Provide leadership for the campus in designing programs to help students in academic difficulty succeed.
- Master's degree from a regionally accredited university.
- At least 3 years experience working in a higher education setting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience implementing best practices in academic support services in higher education.
- Demonstrated ability to administer programmatic and budget functions, and supervise personnel.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with faculty and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience providing educational support for students.
- Background in math or science
- Commitment to equity and inclusiveness and diverse perspectives and experiences.
Applications are submitted electronically. Interested candidates should apply online at: http://www.uwec.edu/Employment/uweccareers.
You must create an account and login before you can apply. If you have not yet registered, click on the "Click here to Register" link to begin the registration process. If you are already a registered user, input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login." Click the link to the Director of the Academic Skills Center and Coordinator of the Student Success Center position (Job ID# 9046) and then click the "Apply Now" button to submit your application electronically. Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are completed.
Please be sure you have included the following in PDF format:
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three references.
If you have application questions, please email email@example.com.
To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received by June 14, 2013. However, screening may continue until the position is filled.
A criminal background check will be required prior to employment.
To learn more, visit the Web site: www.uwec.edu/employment