The mission of the ESL Program at UW-Eau Claire is to create opportunities for multicultural teaching and learning through a community of engaged learners who acquire the academic English language skills and cultural awareness necessary to succeed and thrive in academic and professional settings.
Goals and Objectives of the ESL Program
- To develop a communicative, practical use of social and academic English, including the oral and written expression of ideas and concepts
- To prepare learners to excel in university-level study in English
- To concentrate on academic content in a rigorous, cognitively challenging environment
- To stimulate critical thinking and problem solving in English
- To apply language learning strategies
- To put into practice the ability to analyze, synthesize, and evaluate in English