print header

Leave of Absence

Students may request leave of absence for up to two consecutive semesters (in documented instances of military obligation, this two semester limit may be extended).
A student on a leave of absence does not have to apply for readmission; however, if the student is suspended or stays out of school for a period longer than the approved leave, he or she must apply for readmission. Students must submit a request for a leave online using the link below. A student requesting a leave from the BSN Completion Program or Marshfield Site Nursing Program must consult with their advisor. A Special Education Non Candidate for Degree student must consult with the Chair of the Special Education Department. A student enrolled in the Bachelor of Professional Studies program must consult with their advisor.
Important Requirements:
  1. Students who do not attend UW-Eau Claire for one or two consecutive semesters must complete the Academic Leave form.
  2. Graduate and special students are not eligible for leave.
  3. You may not attend classes at any institution while on an Academic Leave unless you are on an International, BSN Completion Program, Marshfield Site Nursing Program, or Non Candidate for Degree leave. If in one of these programs, you must submit transcripts of the institution you attended, before returning to UW-Eau Claire.
  4. Students in the BSN Completion Program designated as PRE-COLLABORATIVE or COLLABORATIVE Nursing majors may request a leave of absence for up to two consecutive semesters, then return during summer session and complete a UWEC course, and follow it with a request for an additional two consecutive semester leave of absence.
  5. If you are suspended for academic reasons, the leave is automatically canceled and the student must apply for readmission.
  6. Keep in mind that when you return to UW-Eau Claire, you may need to complete a new financial aid application. More information is located in the application for leave, and students are strongly encouraged to meet with Financial Aid.
  7. If you desire University housing at UW-Eau Claire upon return, you must make arrangements with the Housing and Residence Life Office.
  8. If you are enrolled at UW-Eau Claire for the semester you are taking leave, you must cancel your classes before the beginning of the semester.
  9. If after your leave is approved you desire changes, please contact the Dean of Students Office at 715-836-5626.
Deadlines for Completing a Leave of Absence Request:
  • Spring Semester 2015 - January 26, 2015
  • Fall Semester 2015 - September 2, 2015
  • Spring Semester 2016 - January 25, 2016
  • Fall Semester 2016 - September 6, 2016

Note: Students do not need to complete a leave of absence for Winterim and Summer sessions.

The following application for leave must be completed online: