UWEC Counseling Services Practicum/Internship
UWEC Counseling Services offers an academic year long practicum/internship (e.g.,Summer through Spring or Fall through Spring) for masters or doctoral level students obtaining their degree in counseling, counseling/clinical psychology,or clinical social work. The site offers trainees the opportunity to develop individual and group clinical skills in a university setting with a variety of presenting concerns. Such skills include intake assessment, group screenings, individual counseling skills, and group co-facilitation. Other training experiences may involve offering outreach to the campus community and program development. Trainees will also participate in individual supervision, case reviews with clinical staff, and group supervision/professional development with peers.
Trainees are expected to videotape/audiotape sessions to be used in supervision. Trainees are expected to dedicate approximately 20 hours per week to their training experience. This is a non-paid experience.
Please note that this is not an APA-accredited or APPIC internship placement.
Below is a more detailed description of training activities:
- Direct service (individual, group): Trainees will provide short-term individual counseling to students who present with a wide range of concerns such as adjustment to college, mood concerns, family of origin issues, trauma, developmental issues, and etc. Options are available to co-facilitate group with other clinical staff members.
- Outreach:Trainees are invited to assist center with outreach requests. Outreach may include educating campus community about services offered at center, tabling events, participating in Let's Talk program, or other opportunities that arise.
- Individual supervision: Trainees will receive one hour of individual clinical supervision per week from their direct supervisor. The function of the supervision is to monitor client's welfare, enhance trainee's counseling skills, enhance multicultural competence, promote personal and professional growth, and evaluate trainee's professional development on a continuous basis. Trainees are required to be prepared for supervision (e.g., be ready to discuss clients and professional growth, watch taped session and have clips identified to observe with supervisor). If co-facilitating a group, a half hour of supervision will be offered to trainees by their co-facilitator which is in addition to supervision with their direct supervisor.
- Group supervision: Trainees with meet with the Intern Coordinator for one hour each week for didactic and experiential training related to intakes, client consultation, case conceptualization, treatment planning, videotape review, and case presentations. Time will also be devoted to keeping trainees informed of center developments, discuss concerns, and provide support while adjusting to the center. Also, one time per month, these group supervision sessions will focus on a professional development topic led by trainees, Intern Coordinator, or other clinical staff.
- Case reviews and professional development trainings: Trainees are welcome and strongly encouraged to attend other activities at center including case reviews and trainings that are offered throughout the year.
Sample Training Schedule
|Activity||Hours per Week|
|Individual counseling sessions (including intakes/triage assessments)||5-10|
|Individual supervision (direct supervisor)||1|
|Individual supervision (group co-facilitator)||.5|
|Case review and professional training||1-3|
|Clinical prep, video review, and paperwork||2-5|
|Total hours per Week||16-25|
How to Apply
Application materials for the 2014-2015 academic year are being accepted. Deadline for applications is Monday, March 10th. Please e-mail the Intern Coordinator with any questions.
The following materials are required when applying:
- Letter of interest describing goals for placement at UWEC CS.
- Graduate transcript (unofficial copies are acceptable).
- Current resume/curriculum vitae with 3 references who can speak to your clinical skills/training.
For more information or to submit your application, please contact:Dr. Heather Trangsrud Licensed Psychologist & Intern Coordinator UW-Eau Claire Counseling Services Old Library 2122 Eau Claire,WI 54702 Tel: 715/836-5521 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org