What to Wear with Your Gown
- Dark dress shoes and dark clothing are recommended with academic attire and
look good in photographs.
- Wrinkles in your gown? Try a steam iron or hang the gown in a steamy bathroom.
Cap and Tassel
- The mortarboard cap should be worn horizontally (not tipped in any direction),
with the point of the cap in the middle of the forehead.
- Until formal conferral, the tassel is worn on the right side of the cap.
- Master's degree candidates wear tassels on the left side at all times.
- Gold cords should be worn only by baccalaureate degree candidates graduating
cum laude (grade-point average of at least 3.2), magna cum laude (GPA of at least 3.5) or summa cum laude (GPA of at least 3.8).
- Honor society members (baccalaureate only) may wear as many as two silver cords.
- Honors are not assessed at the graduate level, therefore no graduate students wear honor cords.
- Honor cords may be purchased at the University Bookstore.
- DNP, Master's and Specialist in Education degree candidates must bring their hoods for the formal hooding ceremony. These degree candidates can find more information here.
- We have a box of tassels, caps, etc., at the information table located by the reader card table. There is a fee to purchase these items.
- Enter the "Graduates Only" door to Hibbard and get your reader card from the marshals.
- Once you have received your reader card, do not leave the line-up area.
- Stop at the information table to talk to the reader if your name is hard to pronounce.
- Find your college and use the number on your reader card to find your place in the procession.
- Once in line, please stay there. Please be patient.
- The procession begins to move about 15 minutes before the ceremony.
- In the arena, remain standing until the marshal directs you to sit.
During the Ceremony
- Candidates should turn and face the platform party as they enter.
- Sit after the National Anthem.
- After the "Charge to the Class," the chancellor will confer degrees; follow directions.
- Grasp your tassel with your left hand and transfer it to the left side of your cap.
- Follow directions for standing and sitting; watch your marshal for signals.
- Hand your card to the reader just before ascending the platform.
Congratulations! Have a wonderful day.