Blugold Career Network: Sample Questions
The key to informational interviewing is to draw as much information from your resource as possible. To do this, you will have to tailor your questions to each individual you interview. However, there are some basic questions that can be used as a model. Once you have the groundwork done you can adapt your inquiries to fit each individual you interview.
Questions About A Specific Career Field
- What are the main responsibilities associated with work in your field?
- Please describe a typical day, week and/or month in your field.
- What interests and skills are needed for successful employment in this field?
- What are the advantages of working in this field? Any disadvantages?
- What salary and benefits can I expect?
- What education and experience will I need to break into your field?
- What type of work schedule does this field require?
- Have standard or licensing requirements been established for this field by national professional organizations?
- Are jobs in this field limited to any particular geographical area(s)?
- How do people find out about job openings in your occupation?
- What opportunities exist for advancement and/or lateral movement?
- What are the emerging jobs in this field?
- What is the current outlook for new college graduates in your field?
- Are you satisfied with your field? How could it be improved upon?
- What do you see happening to your profession in the next 10 years? Twenty years? Thirty years?
Questions About A Specific Organization
- Please tell me more about your organization and its purpose.
- Is your organization growing, shrinking, or maintaining its current size?
- How does your organization compete or cooperate with other organizations within this field?
- How do you think your job would be different if you worked in a larger or smaller organization?
- How is your organization funded?
- What is unique about your organization?
- In the future, do you think your organization will need more employees in your particular field?
- What is your job security within this organization?
Questions About Personal Insights and Experience
- What field did you prepare for and expect to enter originally?
- How did you get where you are in your field?
- If you needed to leave your present job, to what other jobs could you apply your skills?
- Would you advise someone else to enter your career field?
- Is there anything you would have done differently in your own career?
- Do you like your job?
- What are three personal rewards from the work you do?