Where are you working and what do you do there?
- QPS Employment Group in Kansas City, MO
- Regional Vice President, responsible for the operation and sales of 11 branches in Iowa and one in Missouri.
What is your typical work day like?
- Meet with staff regarding customer and candidate activity.
- Meet with key customers to generate new job orders
- Training and development of internal staff
- Long term planning and development.
What path did you take to your current career, were there other jobs along the way?
- I started by answering the phone/receptionist for a staffing firm in Minneapolis, MN.
- I have only been in staffing my whole career so all positions were in the same industry. My path has been:
o UWEC Grad
o Placement Coordinator/Recruiter
o Outside sales representative
o Branch Manager
o General Manager
o Regional Sales Manager
o Regional Vice President
How did your liberal arts education at UW-Eau Claire help prepare you for your career?
- I did not know what I wanted to do with my life and liberal arts allowed me to study a broad range of subjects.
- The Org Comm/PR degree was very helpful in presentation situations. It helped me develop my professional speaking skills.
Is there something more you wish you would have done in college to prepare for your career?
- I wish there was a sales training related class/course.
- I would have taken more management courses.
- I should have put myself in to more groups that did public speaking.
What advice do you have for UW-Eau Claire students to become successful in their own careers?
- Don’t be concerned about today, look toward tomorrow. As a new graduate, your dream job does not await. You will take a position, most likely, that is a step toward your end goal. Today’s employment market is not kind to recent grads, be prepared to pay your dues and work your way up. If you are patient and work hard, opportunities will come.