Guide for Family Members
Successful Career Preparation
An education alone does not guarantee a job after graduation. At Career Services, self-assessment, exploring work settings, developing job search skills and participating in internships and other experiential learning opportunities, will help your student to successfully secure a satisfying job upon graduation.
How we can help
Career decision making and employment preparation takes time, energy, and commitment. Career Services offers your student programs and services designed to actively engage him/her in the career development process from the time of orientation through employment after graduation.
Find information for your student regarding the entire career development process, from choosing/changing a major, researching careers, to looking for and obtaining an internship and a full-time position after graduation.
How you can help
There are several ways you can help your student with their career development. Encourage your student to make career development a priority while at UW-Eau Claire.
The Career Planning Timetable for Parents is a guide through the career development process and it will help you evaluate your student's progress. Suggest activities for your student from the timetable that corresponds to his/her stage of development to keep them on track:
- Talk about your own career choices and work experiences.
- Help them make valuable contacts with professionals you know or encourage them to search our Blugold Career Network database for networking and informational interviewing opportunities.
- Register your student with Blugold CareerLink early in their college career.
- Suggest they check out SIGI 3, an online self-assessment and career exploration program, available for free to UW-Eau Claire students.
- Have your student investigate the many career-related student organizations on campus.
Other pages of interest on the UW-Eau Claire website
- Academic Advising
- Academic Skills Center
- Academic Year Calendar
- Activities & Programs
- Clubs & Organizations
- Financial Aid
- Housing and Residence Life Office
- Dean of Students
- UW-Eau Claire Athletics
- Family Member Checklist - Florida State University
If you have questions, please feel free to contact our office at any time.
Phone: (715) 836-5358