Students: Get ready for Career Conference
The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire will host the 56th annual Career Conference, Thursday, September 26, 2013 from 10 a.m.- 3 p.m. in the Ojibwe Ballroom, 3rd floor, Davies Center.
Find out what employers are attending.
Attend Prep Workshops
Held in Old Library 1128. All are 50 minutes in duration. Pre-registration not required.
Blugold CareerLinkWednesday, September 18th - Noon
Career Fair PrepThursday, September 19th - 3 PM
Tuesday, September 24th - 12:30 PM
Interviewing Skills 101Tuesday, September 10th - 12:30 PM
Resume WritingWednesday, September 4th - Noon
Thursday, September 12th - 3 PM
Get your Resume Reviewed
Held in Career Services, Schofield 230
Monday, September 23rd - 10-2 PM
Tuesday, September 24th - 10-2 PM
Wednesday, September 25, 2013 | 7:00–9:00 PM
UW-Eau Claire Davies Center Dakota Ballroom
Complimentary light refreshments. Cash bar. All recruiters and UW-Eau Claire students and faculty/staff are invited to attend the event. Hosted by BUS, Career Services, and the College of Business.
Stand out to employers
Research Employers Attending
- View the list of organizations that have registered.
- Check Blugold CareerLink to identify the positions for which they will be recruiting
- Research their web sites to understand the types of departments and types of positions.
Identify a list of potential employers
- List reasons you would like to work for them
- Prioritize these employers
Contact the employers before the conference
- Send a customized cover letter and resume to the recruiter
- Introduce yourself
- Tell them why you like their organization and why you are a good fit and let them know you will be at the Conference
Prepare and practice a mini presentation about yourself
- Introduce yourself
- Explain why you are interested in their organization
- Explain why you would be a good fit (talk about skills, experience, etc.)
- Develop questions to ask (questions which demonstrate your knowledge of the organization)
Decide on a wardrobe - business professional attire is recommended.While at the Career Conference
- Present yourself to the recruiter (Shake hands and make eye contact)
- Give them your mini-presentation
- Present your resume (with a customized career objective)
- Ask Questions
- Ask if you can follow-up
- Ask for their card
NOTE: If the recruiter is interviewing for a specific position, get on their interview schedule.
If the recruiter is not interviewing for your specific position - ask for their help (a contact name; how to approach, next steps, policies).
Find a quiet spot to make notes
After the Career Conference
- Write thank you letters and/or emails