Nurse leaders, educators, scholars and practitioners come to UW Eau Claire to participate in an exemplary, rigorous and creative education in nursing. Our Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program (post-baccalaureate ) prepares experts in family or adult-gerontologic health as nurse administrators, clinical nurse specialists or primary care nurse practitioners. Our post masters option provides those already prepared in advanced practice to enhance their clinical and leadership expertise. We also offer courses and experiences that develop your ability to teach and may culminate in a certificate in nursing education. We make a difference in the lives of our students, the practice of our profession, and the health of the people we serve.
Pre-Doctoral Fellowships: These fellowships provide one year funding for PhD and DNP students inclusive of tuition, fees and a stipend. The full time PhD and DNP student funding is no greater than $43,000/year.
A. Fellows must be enrolled in a UW system PhD or DNP nursing program. This includes BSN to DNP, BSN to PhD, MSN to DNP and MSN to PhD students. Exceptions to this exist for instructors at UW-Eau Claire, UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee and UW Oshkosh who are enrolled in PhD programs outside of the UW System’s programs. In this case, instructors who are enrolled in PhD and DNP programs that are CCNE accredited are eligible for funding.
B. Fellows are required to complete the equivalent of full time faculty employment for three (3) years at a UW nursing program. This obligation begins after receipt of funding and completion of the pre-doctoral program.
Postdoctoral Fellowships: These fellowships provide a one or two year funding for PhD postdoctoral or DNP postdoctoral students. The fellow would be awarded $60,000/year plus fringe benefits.
A. The PhD postdoctoral fellowships are available at UW-Madison School of Nursing and UW-Milwaukee College of Nursing.
B. The DNP postdoctoral fellowships are available at UW-Eau Claire, UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee and UW Oshkosh nursing programs. The program is dual focused. Continuing the scholarship of evidenced based practice, these individuals will partner with an expert in a clinical organization to lead in promoting change. The second aspect of the DNP fellowship will focus on nursing education. This may include auditing nursing education courses as well as teaching in the classroom, simulation/skills labs, and clinical. Mentoring in the role of educator will be part of the experience.
C. Fellows are required to complete the equivalent of full time faculty employment for three (3) years at a UW nursing program. This obligation begins after receipt of funding and completion of the postdoctoral program.
Faculty Loan Forgiveness Program: Loan forgiveness is available for new faculty hires with a PhD or DNP in nursing. Awards up to $50,000 per faculty hire are at UW-Eau Claire, UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee and UW Oshkosh.
A. An application is not required for this award. This is negotiated at time of hire with the Dean of the nursing program.
B The equivalent of full time employment for three years at a UW nursing program is required to receive a funding award.
About the Nurses For Wisconsin Program at UW-Eau Claire
This University of Wisconsin System Incentive Grant, 2013-2015 provides opportunities for three areas of funding in nursing education. They include predoctoral fellowships, postdoctoral fellowships and loan forgiveness for new faculty hires.
- Predoctoral fellowships will support students pursuing either Ph.D.s or doctor of nursing practice (DNP) degrees. Predoctoral nursing fellows will receive tuition, fees and stipends in exchange for a three-year commitment to teach at a UW System nursing school. UW-Eau Claire offers a DNP program.
- Postdoctoral fellowships to advance nursing research and evidence-based practice also will be supported. The postdoctoral nursing fellows will receive a one- to two-year fellowship, with benefits, as part of a three-year teaching commitment in a UW system nursing program.
- Faculty loan forgiveness program is as an incentive to attract new nursing faculty with a Ph.D. or doctor of nursing practice degree. This program will repay up to $50,000 of the new hire's student loans in exchange for a three-year teaching commitment.
The application package must be submitted to the listed contact at the UW nursing program you are enrolled in. Follow the instructions below to apply for an UW-Eau Claire, College of Nursing and Health Sciences pre-doctoral or postdoctoral fellowship.The Fellowship Application Package consists of:
- application form.
- essay addressing your career goals and their intersection with nursing education. Essays are no more than two (2) typewritten, double-spaced pages. Please include your name at the top of each page.
- curriculum vitae.
Application Process for Pre-Doctoral and Post-Doctoral Fellowships
- Go to the online application and select the fellowship for which you are applying.
- Complete the application and attach both the essay and CV.
- Submit your application.
- You will receive an email verification of successful submission.
Direct inquiries to:
Nurses For Wisconsin Project Coordinator
Elaine Wendt, Ph.D., R.N.
College of Nursing and Health Sciences