Tech Lab Hours:
- Mon-Thurs: 10 A.M. - 8 P.M.
- Friday: 10 A.M. - 2 P.M.
- Saturday & Sunday: Closed
Location: Campus School 6
What we are:
The College of Education and Human Science (COEHS) Tech Lab is a curricular technology lab located in the basement of campus school. It is open to students in the College of Education and Human Science. In addition to providing the basic technologies available through general access labs, the COEHS Tech Lab offers color printing, equipment checkout, educational software access, Timeliner, Inspiration, the standard University of WIsconsin - Eau Claire (UWEC) software, podcasting, digital music production, and digital video editing. The COEHS Tech Lab is staffed at all times, and open every day of the week except for Saturdays.
The COEHS Tech Lab has many items available for checkout to students and faculty of the College of Education and Human Sciences. All items can be checked out for up to three days, or two nights. Items available for checkout include:
- Digital still cameras
- Digital video cameras
- Data Projectors
Faculty may reserve items up to one month in advance. Students may reserve items up to one week in advance. Users are also able to reserve items for back-to-back checkouts with the authorization of a lab administrator. Back-to-back checkout will be flexible and will depend upon the level of demand for the resources. Reserved items may be picked up when the lab opens on the first day of checkout and must be returned before the lab closes on the last checkout day.
The COEHS Tech Lab can be reserved by COEHS faculty. Lab space and lab equipment may be set aside for individual class periods, however we can not accommodate reservations for the entire semester. Requests should be submitted at least 24 hours in advance by e-mail to Carol Koroghlanian (koroghcm, 836.4758), or by phone to the lab office at 836.4005.
Purpose & Principles:
The Tech Lab is intended to be a flexible, cross-platform, student supported environment where College of Education and Human Sciences faculty, staff, and students can find and use technology and integrate them into their learning environments and lesson plans.
The Technology Lab and Projects Studio is organized and developed around the following ideas and principles.
The lab/studio is...
- Open: The structure and infrastructure is open and visible so that people can see the technology rather than having it hidden away in closets.
- Instructional: Posters, fact sheets, etc. are displayed throughout the lab, providing clear, concise, and interesting information about technology and how it can be used.
- Flexible: The lab is designed to be configured and used in a variety of ways. Features like extra outlets (both electrical and Ethernet) and preservation of open spaces allow for alternative configuration of the lab when appropriate.
- Interoperable/Cross-platform: The lab is designed to promote cross-platform usage and communication. The standard suite of software will be equally represented on both Macintosh and Windows platforms. We are committed to supporting both platforms equally as tools of individual preference, while encouraging multi-platform skill sets.
- Staffed: The lab is staffed to provide students and faculty support in setting and reaching new goals involving technology. The purpose of staffing the Tech Lab is to enhance technological experiences and to provide assistance to students and faculty in order to bring them closer to technology.