March 11, 2014
DECA students score big at state conference
Front (L to R): Marie Sweeney, Brittany Peckham, Marissa Leners, Allison Secord, Aaron Polzin, Brooke Yoder, Grace Bothwell.
Middle (L to R): Jack Heruth, Ben Kapsner, Laurena Schug, Ashley Larson, Lauren Sichterman.
Back (L to R): Dan LaVelle, Nick Sawasky, Dylan Thompson, Anthony Mattei, Ryan Wisherd, Alec Sommer.
Hard work and determination paid off for the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Collegiate DECA members who attended the 2014 Collegiate DECA Wisconsin State Conference, March 6–8 in Madison, WI.
Justin Lang, a junior UW-Eau Claire marketing and mass communications major from Wausau, WI, was elected Western Region vice president. In addition to promoting the growth and development of Wisconsin Collegiate DECA in Western Wisconsin, Lang will plan and promote the regional conference which will be held at UW-Eau Claire in spring 2015.
Five UW-Eau Claire students were top 3 finalists in their categories thus qualifying to attend the Collegiate DECA International Career Development Conference in Washington DC, April, 23–26. Congratulations to the following students:
- Aaron Polzin, a senior information systems major from Janesville, WI, placed first in Retail Management business simulation.
- Marissa Leners, a sophomore management major from Apple Valley, MN, placed second in Hotel and Lodging business simulation. Teammate Brooke Yoder, a senior marketing analytics major from Sun Prairie, WI, finished third in the event.
- Laurena Schug, a junior marketing major from Glenwood City, WI, finished second in Marketing Management business simulation.
- Lauren Sichterman, a junior information systems major from Wausau, WI, took 2nd Place in the Restaurant and Food Service Management business simulation.
Fourteen UW-Eau Claire students also qualified for the international conference by placing in the top eleven in their category or receiving a score of 70 or higher on the qualifying exam. Congratulations to the following students:
- Grace Bothwell, a freshman marketing major from Janesville, WI, placed fourth in the Marketing Management business simulation. In the same event teammates Allison Secord, a freshman marketing major from La Crosse, WI, placed fifth; Justin Lang, a junior marketing and communication major from Wausau, WI placed 13th; and Brittany Peckham, a freshman entrepreneur major from Oregon, WI placed 14th.
- Dylan Thompson, a freshman health care administration major from Champlin, MN, and Ryan Wisherd, a sophomore management major from Rosemount, MN, finished 4th in the Sports and Entertainment Marketing case study team event. Also placing in the event from were 5th place finishers Anthony Mattei, a freshman business administration major from Savage, MN, and Alec Sommer, a freshman marketing major from Wausau, WI; and 6th place finalists Jack Heruth, a sophomore entrepreneur major from Champlin, MN, and Ben Kapsner, a sophomore marketing major from Maple Grove, MN.
- Ashley Larson, a junior marketing major from Glenwood City, WI, finished 5th in the Fashion Merchandising and Marketing business simulation.
- Dan LaVelle, a sophomore marketing major from Eau Claire, WI, placed 5th in the Retail Management business simulation.
- Nick Sawask, a junior finance major from Appleton, WI, and Maria Sweeney, a junior marketing major from New Brighton, MN, finished 5th in the Business-to-Business Marketing case study team event.
DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe. To learn more about the UW-Eau Claire student chapter, contact Aaron Polzin, chapter president, or visit www.uwecdeca.com. Emily Elsner Twesme, Department of Business Communication, is the organization’s faculty adviser.