February 27, 2014
UW-Eau Claire DECA students to compete at state conference
Nineteen University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire College of Business students will attend the 2014 Collegiate DECA Wisconsin State Conference, March 6–8 in Madison, WI. At the conference, UW-Eau Claire students will network with DECA members and business leaders from around the state, vote for state officers and participate in competitive events.
UW-Eau Claire College of Business students will compete in seven different events. See box below. Students who place in the top 11 in their category or receive a score of 70 or higher on their exam qualify to attend the 2014 Collegiate DECA International Career Development Conference held April 23–26 in Washington DC.
DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe. To learn more about the UW-Eau Claire student chapter, contact Aaron Polzin, chapter president, or visit www.uwecdeca.com.
Emily Elsner Twesme, Department of Business Communication, is the organization’s faculty adviser.
UW-Eau Claire Collegiate DECA competitors by category
Competitors take a comprehensive written exam and participate in a role-play.
- Fashion Merchandising and Marketing: Ashley Larson
- Hotel and Lodging: Marissa Leners, Brooke Yoder
- Restaurant and Food Service Management: Lauren Sichterman
- Retail Management: Dan LaVelle, Aaron Polzin
Competitors analyze a business situation and present a resolution. They also take a comprehensive written exam.
- Business-to-Business Marketing (team event): Nick Sawask and Maria Sweeny
- Marketing Management: Grace Bothwell, Justin Lang, Britt Peckham, Laurena Schug, Allison Secord
- Sports and Entertainment Marketing (team event): Jack Heruth and Ben Kapsner; Tony Mattei and Alec Sommer; Dylan Thompson and Ryan Wisherd