March 13, 2013
UW-Eau Claire DECA students advance to International Career Development Conference
Back Row: Amber Steinert, Dan Lavelle, Dan Greene, Adam Bergman, Brianna Noeldner
Front Row: Samantha Witter, Jack Heruth, Ben Kapsner, Dan Wolf, Ashley Tina Marie Larson, Aaron Polzin, Laurena Schug
Thirteen University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire students competed at the 2013 Collegiate DECA Wisconsin State Career Development Conference, March 6–9, 2013 in Madison, WI. Approximately 300 students from 17 2-year and 4-year colleges and universities around the state attended the conference.
All of the UW-Eau Claire students qualified to compete at the Collegiate DECA International Career Development Conference, which will be held April 17-20, 2013 in Anaheim, CA.
“The UW-Eau Claire students spent many hours practicing and preparing for the state competition—and it certainly paid off,” said Emily Elsner Twesme, UW-Eau Claire DECA faculty adviser. “I was impressed by their professional behavior and their positive attitudes.”
Samantha Witter, a junior Kinesiology major from Wausau, WI, placed first in the Sales Management event. Daniel Wolf, a senior operations materials management major from Appleton, WI, finished first in the Hotel and Lodging event.
Other UW-Eau Claire students won awards in the following categories:
- Business to Business marketing: Adam Bergman, a sophomore BSAD major from Suamico, WI and Brianna Noeldner, a sophomore international business and marketing double major from Suamico, WI, placed 2nd.
- Fashion Merchandising and Marketing: Ashley Tina Larson, a sophomore undeclared major from Glenwood City, WI, placed 5th.
- Marketing Management: Amber Steinert, a senior marketing analytics major from Duluth, WI, placed 5th. Laurena Schug, a freshman business administration major from Glenwood City, WI, placed 6th. Allison Coffey, a junior professional sales marketing major from Tomah, WI also competed in this event.
- Retail Management: Aaron Polzin, a junior information systems major from Janesville, WI, placed 5th. Dan Lavelle, a freshman undeclared major from Eau Claire, WI, placed 8th.
- Sports and Entertainment Marketing: Jack Heruth, a freshman entrepreneur management major from Champlin, MN and Ben Kapsner, a freshman marketing major from Maple Grove, MN, placed 4th.
- Travel and Tourism: Daniel Greene, a junior operations/materials management major from Wayzata, MN, placed 3rd.
DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe. To learn more about the UW-Eau Claire student chapter, contact Emily Elsner Twesme, faculty adviser, Department of Business Communication.