November 6, 2013
UW-Eau Claire students win scholarships in Target Case Competition
The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire student team consisting of Brian McClurg, Gustav Petersson, and Aaron Wirth placed first at the 2013 UW-Eau Claire Target Case Competition held October 9 on the UW-Eau Claire campus. Target employees Jon Tack, technology services manager, and Emily Sjodin, technology campus recruiter, presented the team with a check for $2,000. The award will be divided among the group members and used for scholarships. See box below for the names of the other finalists.
The 2013 case competition was funded by a grant from the Target Corporation. The competition was open to all UW-Eau Claire Association of Information Technology Professionals (AITP) student chapter members and all UW-Eau Claire information systems majors.
This year’s case study, “Elevating the In-Store Experience,” asked students to develop a strategy to enrich customers’ in-store shopping experiences using a highly interactive app for mobile devices. Submissions were evaluated on innovation, creativity, user experience, impact on guests, impact on Target team members, and the implementation. Student teams received the case on October 5 at TechCon, a technology education fair hosted by the AITP student chapter. On October 9, teams formally presented their strategy to Tack and Sjodin, who judged the submissions and presented awards to the finalists later that day.
Members of the AITP student chapter helped plan and market the competition.
To learn more about the event, contact Thomas Sulzer, associate lecturer, Department of Information Systems and AITP faculty adviser.
2013 UW-Eau Claire Target Case Competition, Top Three Teams
Team award: $2,000
- Brian McClurg, an IS, business analysis major from Madison, WI
- Gustav Petersson, an IS, business analysis major from Brookfield, WI
- Aaron Wirth, a computer science, software engineering major from Appleton, WI.
Team award: $750
- Nathan Carr, a computer science major from Woodbury, MN
- Aaron Polzin, a IS, business analysis major from Janesville, WI
- Emily Matuska, a IS, systems development and finance double major from Prior Lake, MN
Team award: $250
- Jacob Baker, a IS, business analysis major from Hudson, WI
- Benjamin Brack, IS, business analysis major from Sheboygan, WI
- Taylor Vanberkel, a IS, business analysis BBA major from Roseville, MN.