March 8, 2012
UW-Eau Claire DECA students finish in top 3 at Collegiate State Career Development Conference
Six University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire business students finished in the top three of their competitive events at the 2012 Collegiate DECA Wisconsin State Career Development Conference, March 1-4 in Madison, WI, according to faculty adviser Emily Elsner Twesme, Department of Business Communication.
Collegiate DECA competitions are clustered around six business areas: 1) business management and administration, 2) communications and technology, 3) entrepreneurship, 4) finance and accounting, 5) hospitality and tourism, and 6) marketing and sales.
Brisselle Magana, a sophomore management major from Eau Claire, WI, placed first in the Entrepreneurship prepared presentation. For this event, Magana prepared a 10-page written document and made a 20-minute presentation.
Other UW-Eau Claire award winners were as follows:
Dan Wolf, a senior operations materials management major from Appleton, WI, finished 2nd in the Hotel and Lodging business simulation.
Samantha Witter, a sophomore undeclared major from Wausau, WI, placed 2nd place in Sales Management Meeting case study. Shawn Dewane, a junior marketing major from St. Charles, IL, placed third in this event.
Third places awards also went to Allison Coffey, a sophomore marketing-professional sales major from Tomah, WI, who competed in the Restaurant and Food Service Management business simulation, and Aaron Polzin, a sophomore information systems major from Janesville, WI, who competed in the Retail Management business simulation.
All of these students earned the right to compete at the 2012 International Career Development Conference, April 21-24, 2012 in Salt Lake City, UT.
In addition, nine other UW-Eau Claire students have qualified for the national conference. To qualify, students needed to score high enough on their proficiency exam and placing high enough in their competition category.
These students are as follows:
- Jakob Broesch, a senior IS-business analysis major from Hales Corner, WI
- Jimmy Donnellan, a junior accounting major from Duluth, MN
- Justin Lang, a freshman marketing major from Wausau, WI
- Nicole Leners, a junior business administration major from Apple Valley, MN
- Emily Matuska, a junior business finance and IS double major from Wabasha, MN
- Brianna Noeldner, a freshman marketing major from Suamico, WI
- Mike Schanning, a sophomore management major from Oak Creek, WI
- Ryan Schorbahn, a junior accounting major from Eau Claire, WI
- Amber Steinert, a junior marketing analytics major from Duluth, WI.
DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe. To learn more about the UW-Eau Claire student chapter, contact Nicole Leners, chapter president, or Emily Elsner Twesme, faculty adviser, Department of Business Communication.