March 2, 2012
UW-Eau Claire DECA students to compete at state career development conference
Fifteen University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire College of Business students will attend the 2012 Collegiate DECA Wisconsin State Career Development Conference, March 1-4 in Madison, WI. They will compete for the right to attend the 2012 International Career Development Conference, April 21-24, 2012 in Salt Lake City, UT.
Collegiate DECA competitions are clustered around six business areas: 1) business management and administration, 2) communications and technology, 3) entrepreneurship, 4) finance and accounting, 5) hospitality and tourism, and 6) marketing and sales. UW-Eau Claire College of Business students will compete in eight different events. See box below.
DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe. To learn more about the UW-Eau Claire student chapter, contact Nicole Leners, chapter president, or Emily Elsner Twesme, faculty adviser, Department of Business Communication.
2012 UW-Eau Claire DECA competitors
Competitors take a comprehensive written exam and participate in a 15 minute one role-play
- Ryan Schorbahn, junior accounting major from Eau Claire, WI
- Jimmy Donnellan, junior accounting major from Duluth, MN
Hotel and Lodging
- Justin Lang, freshman marketing major from Wausau, WI
- Daniel Wolf, senior operations materials management major from Appleton, WI
Restaurant and Food Service Management
- Allison Coffey, sophomore marketing-professional sales major from Tomah, WI
- Aaron Polzin, sophomore IS major from Janesville, WI
Travel and Tourism
- Competing as a team: Brianna Noeldner, freshman marketing major from Suamico, WI and Nicole Leners, junior business administration major from Apple Valley, MN
Competitors develop and make a 15 minute presentation.
- Competing as a team: Jakob Broesch, senior IS-business analysis major from Hales Corner, WI and Emily Matuska, junior business finance and IS double major from Wabasha, MN
Sales Management Meeting
- Samantha Witter, sophomore undeclared major from Wausau, WI
- Shawn Dewane, junior marketing major from St. Charles, IL
Sports and Entertainment Marketing
- Competing as a team: Mike Schanning, sophomore management major from Oak Creek, WI and Amber Steinert, junior marketing analytics major from Duluth, WI.
Competitors submit a 10 page written document and make a 20 minute presentation.
- Brissell Magana, sophomore management major from Eau Claire, WI.