January 17, 2012
UW-Eau Claire accounting students provide free 2011 tax return assistance
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire accounting students will provide free 2011 income tax assistance to taxpayers who cannot afford to pay for professional help through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. VITA, a special program of the Internal Revenue Service and Wisconsin Department of Revenue, provides free tax return assistance to taxpayers with adjusted gross annual incomes under $50,000. UW-Eau Claire students will be available to meet with individuals on a first-come, first-served basis Monday-Wednesday, February 6 through April 11, 2012.
VITA volunteers will help individuals fill out basic income tax forms (1040EZ, 1040A, and 1040). Taxpayers with complicated returns or questions will be referred to the IRS or advised to seek private professional assistance. Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis by the VITA volunteer.
Taxpayers seeking tax preparation assistance must bring the following information:
- Proof of identification
- Social Security Cards for themselves, their spouse, and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Birth dates for themselves, their spouse, and dependents on their tax return
- Current year's tax packet if they received one
- Wage and earning statements from W-2, W-2G, or 1099-R from all their employers
- Interest and dividend statements from financial institutions (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year's Federal and State returns if available
- Financial institution's routing and account numbers for direct deposit
- Total amount paid for day-care and day-care provider's tax identification number
- Rent certificate or 2011 property tax bill, if eligible for Homestead Credit.
To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms. VITA volunteers cannot file married filing separate tax returns.
For more information, please contact the VITA volunteer hotline at 715-833-7257.
2012 VITA Schedule, February 6–April 11
(Closed March 19-23)
All locations are in Eau Claire, WI
Mondays from 1-4:30 pm
Western Dairyland, 418 Wisconsin Street
Tuesdays & Wednesdays, from 1–4:30 pm
RCU Shopko South Office, 1049 W. Clairemont Ave