Marketing focuses on building customer relationships. It is a process that begins with discovering unmet customer needs and continues with researching the potential market; producing a good or service that satisfies targeted consumers; and promoting, pricing and distributing that good or service.
All organizations-profit-oriented and not-for-profit engage in marketing activities because all organizations must serve customer needs to succeed.
As a marketing student you will learn to...
- Develop marketing strategy that maximizes a firm's share of the market and its profits while ensuring that the firm's customers are satisfied
- Monitor trends that indicate the need for new products and services
- Determine the demand for products and services offered by the firm and its competitors
- Communicate marketing and sales information clearly and concisely to current and potential users
- Become proficient in marketing industry specific software
- Understand the importance of ethics in the marketing profession
- Work effectively with people in project teams
- Lead in the management of people
Careers in marketing include advertising, purchasing, retail buying, sales, brand or product management, store management, logistics, and events planning.