Peer Guide Opportunity Description & Application
- Must be a current UWEC student and have completed two semesters prior to international student orientation week
- Current good academic standing (GPA of at least 2.50)
- Available for and attend the entire Peer Guide training week, international student orientation week, and reflection meeting
- Submit required application materials (application, resume, and two references*) by deadline of March 15th, 2013
- Returning (veteran) Peer Guides do not need to resubmit references
- References must be from a supervisor or manager (i.e. faculty, manager, staff supervisor, R.A.'s, student organization chair person, academic advisor of a club, hall director, etc.)
- At least one reference must be from the university community
- Welcome and assist new international students (undergraduate and graduate) in their adjustment, orientation, and transition to UWEC's campus and Eau Claire culture
- Attend, participate, and assist with international student orientation activities and events
- Mandatory attendance for international student orientation week (August 24th - 28th).
- Encourage international students to participate in all orientation activities
- Act as a guide, resource person, provide peer support, and answer questions for a group of 8-10 international students
- Facilitate access to university programs, services, & resources (i.e. registration process, student organizations, etc.)
- Discuss any questions, difficulties, or concerns with the CIE staff members
- Conduct workshops regarding social issues, campus life, and cultural adjustment
- Participate in organized social activities during orientation week
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills
- Empathy and helping skills
- Compassion for others
- Cross-cultural awareness, understanding, and sensitivity
- Flexibility and open-mindedness
- Demonstrated ability to manage academic workload
- Great time management skills
- Initiative, enthusiasm, and dependability
- Ability to muti-task
- Fulfill all 30 hours of service learning requirement
- Receive a monetary stipend upon completion of international student orientation week to help defray expenses (i.e. meals, social activities, etc.)
- Skill development/enhancement experience for future employment
- Personal satisfaction of making a positive impact on international students
- Enhance your global cultural perspectives
- Create lasting friendships with UWEC international students and other Peer Guides
- Letter of recommendations available upon request
- Mandatory week long Peer Guide training just before fall semester
- Lunch will be provided
How to Apply:
Applications are available online or at the Center for International Education in Schofield 3.
*Returning (Veteran) Peer Guides, please note that there is a separate online application for you below.
Selection is based on application materials and interviews. Those selected for an interview will be contacted to schedule an interview.
Questions? Contact 715-836-4411 or send an e-mail to Michael Buenger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.