International Visiting Scholar Application Process
Questions? Contact an International Visiting Scholar Adviser at firstname.lastname@example.org
Before creating a SEVIS record and producing a Form DS-2019 for an exchange visitor in the category of either Professor or Research Scholar, it must be determined that the individual is eligible to participate in the Exchange Visitor Program as a Professor or Research Scholar. An individual may be selected for participation subject to the following conditions:
1. The exchange visitor must not be a candidate for a tenure track position (see 22 CFR 62.20 (d)(1)).
2. The exchange visitor has not been physically present in the United States as a non-immigrant pursuant to the provisions of 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(15)(J) for all or part of the 12-month period immediately before the program begin date on his or her Form DS-2019 identified in SEVIS, unless (see 22 CFR 62.20 (d)(2)):
• The exchange visitor is transferring to the sponsor's program pursuant to the provisions set forth in 22 CFR 62.42, Transfer of Program
• The exchange visitor's presence in the United States was less than 6 months in length
• The exchange visitor's presence in the United States was pursuant to a short-term scholar exchange activity as authorized by 22 CFR 62.21, Short-term Scholars.
3. The exchange visitor is not subject to repeat participation as set forth in 22 CFR 62.20(i)(2). An exchange visitor is not eligible for participation as a Professor or Research Scholar for a period of two years following the program end date identified in SEVIS if he or she meets these two criteria:
• Entered the United States under the Exchange Visitor Program as a Professor or Research Scholar, or who has acquired such status while in the United States
• Completed his or her program
Information and Important dates/deadlines
Important application deadlines
Application deadline for Fall: May 1
Application deadline for Spring: October 1
Housing is not available on the UWEC campus. Hosting departments are responsible for assisting visiting scholars in securing housing.
Application Process - Required Documents
Download the application. Submit the completed and signed copy in the application packet.
A copy of the photo page of your passport and all dependents passports.
A current Curriculum Viate (CV)
Letter of invitation from the UW-Eau Claire Department Chair
Proof of English proficiency (TOEFL iBT = 75 or IELTS = 6.0) or equivalent.
Original financial documents
You must provide proof that you can financially support yourself and your dependents during the length of your programs, including grace periods. Proof can be letters from banks or grant awards. These must be original with signatures and stamps. Faxes, photocopies, scanned, or print outs will not be accepted. Documents must be in English or officially translated to English.
The approximate financial support based on (2015-16) required for 14 months (including two months for the grace periods) is*:
1 adult 2 adults
$24,139 $41,901 $56,024 $52,456 $61,216 $74,248
- *These costs include the health insurance and scholar administrative fees. Costs are approximate and subject to change without notice.
- $100 USD Application fee
- Payment can be made by Flywire, wire transfer or money order only. The fee is non-refundable. Please contact an International Scholar Adviser (email@example.com) for the wire transfer procedure.
- Visiting scholar applications will be reviewed only after the application fee payment has been received.
Within 7 days of arrival to UW-Eau Claire, submit the following payments to the CIE with a money order or cashiers check:
- Health Insurance
- Federal regulations require that you and your dependents have a certain level of health insurance coverage. The health insurance must be purchased for you and all dependents, and must cover the length of you program, including grace periods. The approximate cost for a one year program, (including grace periods) is about $2,600 per person *
- *These costs are approximate and subject to change without notice.
- Contact an International Visiting Scholar Adviser ( firstname.lastname@example.org) for current insurance program costs.
- International Scholar administrative fee
- UW-Eau Claire charges an administrative fee for 1-6 months is $500, 6-12 months is $1,000. Each Spouse/dependent pays half of that amount. A portion of the fee covers the cultural activities provided by the Center for International Education. The U.S State Department mandates that all international visiting scholars and family members engage in cultural activities.
Please send the required documents and fee to:
International Visiting Scholar Adviser
Center for International Education, Schofield 3
University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire
Eau Claire, WI 54702