Midterm Student Evaluations
October 9 - 20, 2017
Request a Midterm Student Evaluation
As a service to professors, a CETL representative will visit a class to confidentially assess the course using students' feedback. Consider adding a midterm student evaluation to your syllabus.
Here's how it works: CETL staff will come to one of your classrooms for the first or last 20 minutes of your class. You get to choose! You leave and we interview your students.
In an effort to improve classroom culture, we have modified the form, which now includes the following questions:
The students form small groups and respond collaboratively to the questions. CETL collects the responses and then facilitates a class discussion in which the students identify the most important issues they want the professor to address. CETL summarizes the data, schedules a time to meet with the professor, and offers options if change is desired. This is formative data; all the information is passed on to the professor and no information is reported to anyone else (we don't even keep a copy)
- What aspects of this class are helping you learn?
- What aspects of this class are not helping you learn?
- The last section will ask students to rate how often they feel comfortable participating in class on a scale of never - always and what would make them feel more comfortable.
The students love the idea that professors are willing to listen to their input and are open to change. They also like it when professors explain why certain procedures are used and why methods will not change.
To request a Midterm Student Evaluation, please follow the registration link below and provide the following information:
- Course title, number and section (e.g. Pediatrics, NURS 325.001)
- Day(s) class meets and time (e.g. MWF 10-10:50)
- Building and room number (e.g. N 265)
- Number of students in the class
- Date you prefer for the evaluation and at least one alternative
For the most choice in days request your midterm student evaluation as soon as possible. (We can take requests right up to the end, if we are available).
Contact CETL, 836-2385, if you have any questions.