July 20-24, 2015
Grades 6 - 10
9 a.m. - noon
UW-Eau Claire, Centennial Hall
Registration coming soon.
Poetry. Novels & Short Stories. Creative Nonfiction & Memoirs.
You are a dreamer AND a storyteller. There are as many ways to tell a story as there are people in this world! Find YOUR creative voice at UW-Eau Claire this summer.
You'll choose the track that most interests you: Poetry | Novels & Short Stories | Creative Nonfiction & Memoirs | Digital Composition. You'll also decide what subjects you want to write about. Your only "assignment" is to be YOU.
Who Should Attend
Students entering grades 6-10 who want to practice their writing and learn more about different types of storytelling. This program is aligned with Wisconsin's Common Core State Standards for English/Language Arts.
What We Will Do
Unique writing activities include:
- Group "writing crawl": take a field trip to places that inspire your creativity.
- Digital storytelling with iPad applications: use the latest technology tools to tell your stories through video, voice, music, animation, photographs and anything else you can come up with.
- Peer review: offer opinions about other people's writing and get your friends' reactions to help improve your own.
- Mini-lessons: faculty and teachers will present a new topic each day.
- Work with writing mentors: college student mentors will give you suggestions to make your writing even better.
Take a look at some student writing samples! View our 2013 Student Chapbook.
Fee: $169 early bird through June 20
$189 standard fee after June 20
Includes 15 hours of instruction, chapbook and all other materials.
Wisconsin DPI Precollege Scholarships are available to qualifying students. Complete the application form and submit it with your registration.
Carey Applegate is an Assistant Professor of English at UW-Eau Claire. Other guest professors, teachers, community professionals and college students will join us throughout the week.