print header

Travel Information 2013-2014

In fiscal year 2007, the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) decentralized the process of awarding travel funds for professional travel to present research, scholarship or creative productions at a conference.  This placed the decision-making and resources at the department level.  In fiscal year 2012, the University/Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) supplemental travel support for presentations was also decentralized.

All supplemental travel funds are transferred from CAS to the departments/programs at the beginning of each academic year.  Chairs/directors are accountable for the travel funds transferred to the departments/programs and are responsible for not over-spending their allocations.  These funds are not fungible, so any transfer out of travel needs to be approved by the Dean.

Department chairs and program directors should evaluate faculty travel proposals in relation to the college criteria below and to the proposal's relative worth to the department, college, and university.  The sole decision about travel funding resides with chair/director and it is expected that he or she will make awards to support fairly all members of the department/program who have a need to present scholarly or creative work.  In order to apply fairness and consistency to travel awards, some general guidelines should be followed.

In general:

  • single awards of up to $800 per conference; faculty and academic staff giving multiple presentations are eligible for a maximum of $1,200 per fiscal year
  • a faculty or academic staff collaborative presentation will be funded as if it is a single presentation (award may be shared, however).

 CAS Criteria:

  • the applicant's participation should be active, not passive (e.g., presentation of a paper vs. simple attendance)
  • there should be direct and demonstrable relation to the professional development (in scholarship or teaching) of the applicant

 CAS Priorities:

  • delivery of a juried paper at a national or regional conference
  • juried/competitive performances and exhibitions
  • participation at a national or regional conference as an elected officer
  • delivery of an invited paper at a national or regional conference
  • invited performances/exhibitions
  • informal presentations, memberships on panels, serving as a respondent, or similar activities at a national or regional conference
  • active participation (see examples above) at a state conference 

Note that travel requests for attendance at a conference only to take a short course, participate in a workshop, receive training, etc. (passive participation) will continue to be administered through ORSP.

Even though this process limits the involvement of the Dean's Office in travel activities, there is still a signature step for both Travel Authorization forms (out-of-state/international) and some Travel Expense Reports (chairs/directors/candidates).

Travelers should familiarize themselves with the following UWEC policies and procedures:

University Travel Forms

UW-TravelWIse Portal


  • Faculty and academic staff are encouraged to submit requests/Travel Authorization (TA) to their chair well in advance of the planned travel.  Requests should reach the Chair at least one month prior to the planned travel.
  • Travel Expense Reimbursement forms (TER's) should be submitted in a timely fashion (within 30 days of travel) for processing.
  • For fiscal year end accounting requirements, all TER's for travel prior to June 1st should be in Accounts Payable by May 31st.
  • If travel is to occur during June, the traveler should contact the Dean's Office well in advance of the trip to make arrangements for possible carry-over of travel funds to the next fiscal year.
Excellence. Our Measure. Our Motto. Our Goal.