University Writing Requirement
- All students must satisfy this requirement for graduation (S1 in new LE framework).
- Students are placed into WRIT courses using only the UW System English placement test (UWENGL/WPT). The ACT is not used for placement.
- Placement into these courses is mandatory: a student cannot take a different WRIT than the one into which s/he is placed.
- Students also may either "test out" of the writing requirement or place into a different WRIT course by submitting a portfolio.
Your UW System English placement test score (UWENGL/WPT), performance on an AP exam, or prior coursework in composition determine which course you must take to meet the University Writing Requirement.
Prerequisites and Courses
WRIT 114: Intensive Blugold Seminar in Critical Reading and Writing. 5 credits
- UWENGL score of 404 and below
WRIT 116: Blugold Seminar in Critical Reading and Writing. 5 credits
- UWENGL score of 405 to 549
WRIT 118: Accelerated Blugold Seminar in Critical Reading and Writing. 2 credits
- UWENGL score of 550-594,
- AP English Language and Composition or Literature and Composition score of 3,
- University Honors Program
University Writing Requirement Met - No WRIT Course Needed
- UWENGL score of 595 or above
- Students with AP English Language and Composition or Literature and Composition scores of 4 and 5 are opted out of the WRIT requirement.
Students with Partial Composition Credit
Students who have at least 2.6 credits with a C or above of college composition, which will show on your UW-Eau Claire transcript as WRIT 907L, may fulfill the University Writing Requirement in one of three ways:
- Achieve a satisfactory score of the University Writing Program Portfolio.
- Earn a C or better in WRIT 120.
- Earn a C or better in any of the following ENGL courses taken at UW-Eau Claire: ENGL 212, 230, 243, 252, 257, 259, 268, 272, 273, 277, 281, 296. You must complete this form and turn it in to the English Department office (Centennial Hall 4102) by the end of the semester the ENGL course was taken. *This option is available only to students who transferred to UW-Eau Claire in 2015-16 or earlier.
Placement into these courses is mandatory based on the above criteria, you may not select a different course.
Students needing to repeat English 110 for replacement grade can take either Writing 114 or 116, depending on their placement score.
Students needing to repeat English 112 for replacement grade can take either Writing 118 or 120, depending on their prerequisites.
Questions? Contact Dr. Cathy Rex, Co-Coordinator of Composition, firstname.lastname@example.org