Summer 2009 Software Upgrades Will Change BITS Training
During August LTS will be upgrading to Adobe Creative Suite 4 (CS4) on Windows and Mac computers in labs and classrooms. This will include, among other programs, Dreamweaver, InDesign, and Photoshop CS4. Also, Windows computers will be upgraded to SPSS 17.
Dreamweaver CS4 Changes Will Significantly Impact BITS Dreamweaver Training
If you have questions about how Dreamweaver CS4, or other Creative Suite 4 programs, will impact your technology-based assignments or your job duties, please contact BITS at 836-5157, email@example.com or stop by and see us at the Help Desk / BITS complex, OL 1106.
Main Changes to Dreamweaver CS4 Training
- Dreamweaver CS4 requires that students learn advanced web development features (i.e., cascading style sheets, CSS) to create web pages. Dreamweaver training will now be a minimum of two 50 or 75 minute workshops (new lesson plans are currently in development).
- Students will not create web pages from scratch; instead they will start from templates provided by BITS.
- BITS will recommend a third training session for us to help students get started on creating their own pages from a template.
- Faculty who don’t wish to devote this much time to a web-based assignment may wish to use free online tools as alternatives to Dreamweaver CS4, such as the following options for creating web sites or blogs online.
Creating Websites Online
Students create free accounts and put their information into pre-designed web site templates.
- BraveNet: http://www.bravenet.com/
- WetPaint: http://www.wetpaint.com/
- Webs: http://www.webs.com/
- Jimdo: http://www.jimdo.com/
Students create free blog accounts and create entries including text, graphics, and multimedia. Others can comment on blog entries and students can customize the layout and design.