Students enrolling in one of the studio concentrations are admitted into the 36-credit BA/BS Liberal Arts program, in which they must spend the first one to two years before applying for admission to the BFA degree program. Those seeking the BFA degree must first complete and pass the BFA entrance review. Guidelines for the full process, including reviews, are available in the Department Office. To apply, students must pass the review by meeting the following requirements:
- Apply with a minimum of 18 Art & Design credits including ART 107, 108, 110, ARTH 109, plus two courses in studio art. The maximum number of Art credits taken (including current enrollment) prior to the BFA Entrance Review is 30. Transfers, Changes of Major, and other exceptions must see area advisor.*
- Submit the BFA Review Application to the Department Office.
- Attend information sessions which cover the BFA Review process, including portfolio submission details.
The committee assesses the quality of the portfolio and makes an admission decision to the BFA program. They will discuss the results of the review with the student and provide the results in writing. Students who do not pass the review may reapply or remain in the BA or BS degree program. After admission, students are required to meet the following:
Continue degree requirements to earn a total of at least 75 credits.
Participate in a Senior Exhibition held in the Foster Gallery.
- Participate in one of two department-sponsored field trip options: the New York field trip OR the Chicago and Minneapolis field trips. (See Field Trips for more information.)
BFA Forms and Instructions
- Process and Instructions - Fall 2014
- Application Form - Fall 2014 (due 10/31/14)
- Appeals Form - Fall 2014 (due 10/31/14)
- Completion Form - Fall 2014
* Transfer students must check with the department and their newly-assigned advisor to determine their position within the department programs and what requirements they will need to meet if they are interested in pursuing the BFA degree.