print header

Advising FAQs

1. How do I drop (withdraw from a class)? To top

During the first two weeks of fall and spring semesters, you can drop a full-semester class using MyBlugold CampS. There will be no record of your enrollment in the class on your transcript.  If the course does not meet the entire semester, check for add/drop restrictions.

Starting the third week of the semester, you must obtain approval signatures on the Change of Registration form to withdraw from a class. A “W” will be denoted on your transcript.

Dates for dropping a class with no record of enrollment and for withdrawing from a class with a “W” are prorated for short courses (those lasting less than 16 weeks) and for courses during summer and winterim. You can check these dates on MyBlugold CampS.

2. How do I decide if it's o.k. to go below full time? To top

Dropping below full time (12 credits for a regular semester) could cause problems in the following areas:

  • Athletic eligibility
  • Health insurance (if the student is covered under his/her parent's health insurance, full time enrollment is often required)
  • Veterans benefits
  • Financial Aid
  • Eligibility for the Dean's list
  • Scholarships

3. How do I withdraw from the university (withdraw from all my classes)? To top

To withdraw from the University and all your courses, start in the Dean of Students Office (Schofield Hall, 240, #715-836-5626).

Academic Consequences of withdrawing from the university:

  • Withdrawing from the university during the first two weeks of classes (the official period for adding or dropping classes) results in no academic penalty. A student receives either a full or partial refund of fees. The transcript indicates the student withdrew from the University.
  • Withdrawing from the University after the second week of classes and before the tenth week of classes results in "W's" on your record indicating a withdrawal.
  • Withdrawing from the University after the tenth week of classes will normally result in grades of "F's" for all unfinished classes. Exceptions to this policy, generally given for extenuating circumstances, may be obtained from the Dean of the College in which the student is enrolled, usually upon the recommendation of the Associate Dean of Students.

4. How do I change my adviser? To top

You can always request a new adviser.  Go to the department office of your major and speak with the department associate.

5. How do I change my major or minor? To top

Each major and minor has it's own procedures to follow.  Please refer to the instructions found on the Registrar's web site.

6. How do I determine if a course taken at another school will transfer to UWEC? To top

Equivalencies for all UW System schools, Wisconsin Technical Colleges, private schools in Wisconsin, Minnesota schools, and UWEC study abroad programs can be found on MyBlugold CampS.

Prior approval forms: It is wise to do obtain prior approval before you take the course. If you're attending a Wisconsin or Minnesota school you should print out the equivalency currently on the web (see above), sign and date it, and turn it in to the Registration Office, Schofield 128.

Students attending a school not listed on either of the above web sites may file a Prior Approval Form.

7. How do I obtain a what-if degree audit? To top

Please view the tutorial video on the Advising website, student page.

8. How do I get a UWEC transcript? To top

Official and unofficial transcripts are requested through MyBlugold CampS.  We have tutorial videos for each on the Advising website, student page.

9. How do I find the final exam schedule? To top

The preliminary finals schedule is available on the Registrar's web site.

Common exam times will be determined during the first month of the semester. Once they are determined, your exact exam schedule will be found on MyBlugold CampS; use the "Other Academic" drop down menu and select Final Exam Schedule.

10. Is there help if I'm struggling in a class or not doing well? To top

The first rule is always to talk with the instructor. She or he can often offer guidance, study tips, or help you with specific questions.
You should also utilized the resources of the Academic Skills Center (tutoring, supplemental instruction, readying and study strategies, etc.).

11. How do I calculate my GPA? To top

There is an on-line GPA calculator that calculates your semester GPA and can help you figure out what grades you have to get to raise your GPA.

12. Should I take a course satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U)? To top

That is a complicated question. It is best to talk to your advisor before taking a course S/U; some majors have restrictions. The options of S/U registration is open only to students with sophomore standing or above and a resident GPA of 2.00 or higher. The only exception: any student may enroll in a physical activity course on the S/U basis.

13. How do I obtain verification of my enrollment? To top

You can request enrollment verification through the Registrar's site.

14. How do I earn retroactive credits for a foreign language? To top

There is a form to be completed and turned into the Registrar's Office. Retro credits are not noted on your transcript immediately.  If they do not appear within a few weeks after the end of the semester, contact your instructor.

16. How do I take the Math, English, or Foreign Language placement test? To top

Information for new freshmen, new transfers, and current students can be found on-line on the Academic Testing website.

New freshmen starting in the fall will take all three tests during Regional Placement testing in the spring. You'll receive information about Regional Placement testing in February.

Transfer students will have an opportunity to take the placement test during Transfer Orientation.