Get-Acquainted Questions (Particularly for first-semester students)
- What made you decide to come to UW-Eau Claire? Are you satisfied with that decision? What do you hope to get out of college?
- What are your goals for the first semester? That is, at the end of the first semester, what accomplishments will make you feel satisfied?
- Are there areas of college life (either academic or non-academic) about which you have concerns?
- How has college been different than you expected it to be?
- What are you spending more time on than you thought you would?
- Have you developed a time-management plan that is working for you? Do you have a good place to study?
Exploring Strengths and Weaknesses
- In what subjects do you feel the best prepared?
- In what subjects do you feel the least prepared?
- Compared to other students, what would you say are your academic and personal strengths?
- What skills and abilities do you want to improve upon while you are in college?
- What subjects would you prefer to avoid? Why?
- What type of assignments are you best at? (Reading, writing, numerical problems, speeches)
- What type of tests do you do best on? (Multiple choice, short essay, essays, lab tests)
- Do you have areas of weakness that you believe will make it difficult for you to reach your goals? Would you like to receive help in these areas?
Exploring a Student's Interests
- If there were no requirements, what courses would you take?
- What major are you currently considering?
- If the student has a declared major,
- On a scale of one to ten, how certain are you that you will graduate with the major you have chosen?
- What appeals to you about this major?
- What additional information would you like about this major?
- Do you have a career goal? Do you need help establishing a career goal? Do you need more information about the career you are considering?
- In what type of work environment do you picture yourself when you graduate? What types of work activities would give you satisfaction in your spare time?
- What extra-curricular activities are you involved in or would you like to be involved in?
- What work experiences have you had? What did you like about them? What didn't you like about them?